Hello, Janeite friends! Now that we are in the second week of the new year, you can look forward to more Austenesque releases to add to your library. One such novel is the recently published Pride and Prejudice variation written by Christina Combe. She is joining us today to tell us all about A Promise of Forever. Aren't you excited to know more? Then let's welcome Christine on her first visit to the blog.
Thank you for having me, Lúthien84! I'm so excited to be visiting My Love for Jane Austen today as part of my A Promise of Forever blog tour. Here's a little question and answer session to tell you a little bit about me...
I've wanted to write for a very long time. In fact, when I was about 20, I started writing a romantic suspense novel I'd titled The Princess Spy, and I think I got about seven or eight chapters into it before I stopped writing it. I don't recall the reason why I stopped, but I would certainly love to find the notebook it's written in so I can polish it up and finish it.
Of course, that's a contemporary romance/romantic suspense story and not a JAFF novel. My first forays in professional writing were in paranormal romance and romantic suspense under my own name. JAFF — or Austenesque literature, as some authors like to call it — is where I seem to have found my niche, because it's the genre which has actually earned me some money. I was inspired to write my first Austen variation, The Correction of Folly, when I was researching how it was legal to even write such books and not get sued for copyright infringement.
How did you come up with the titles of each book?
I think of the theme of the book to create a title, or sometimes it's a line of dialogue or prose that strikes me. I've also considered lines of poetry or quotes from Austen novels for future books I want to write.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I suppose that if there is a message in A Promise of Forever, it's one of forgiveness. Don't hold a grudge, because that only leads to bitterness and resentment. In this book, the main theme was about Elizabeth and Darcy accepting the truth and then moving on with their lives — together, of course.
Are experiences in the book based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Not in any of the JAFF books I've written so far, but I was in a car accident some years ago that I wrote into a romantic suspense novel published under my own name.
What books have most influenced your life most?
Paranormal romance, romantic suspense, and mysteries/thrillers influence me — and of course historical romance, especially the Regency era. I know these are genres and not individual books, but I really couldn't put a finger on any one particular book or books that have influenced me more than any other. I think any book that I read and really enjoy influences me in some small way.
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
For my Austen variations, the "mentor" is obvious — Jane Austen herself. I try to emulate her style while writing my own versions of her stories.
What book are you reading now?
Not really reading anything at the moment, though goodness knows I have a dragon's hoard worth of books on my TBR list.
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Since entering the JAFF community, I have met some incredible authors. I've read some of their books, so I would say Maria Grace and J. Dawn King for authors who have been around a little while. For newer authors like myself, I like Jayne Bamber and Mirta Ines Trupp. I've even met and conversed with some of these wonderful ladies through Facebook.
What are your current projects?
Well, I've literally just released a book, so there's that, lol. I do also have a prologue and first chapter of another book on file, and I'm hoping my brain will let me get that one going again before fixating on one of the other three dozen ideas I have!
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?
There's nothing major that I can think of, but if I were so inclined, I might re-word a few scenes to make them work differently.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I don't really know how or when, except my earliest memory involving writing goes back to when I was in grade school, and I'd written some short story (just a few paragraphs, I imagine) that was apparently good enough to be brought to the principal's attention. It involved dinosaurs. But ever since then, when I've had to do any creative writing, I've strived to make it interesting.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
With Austen variations, the key is writing your own story with her characters while keeping their personalities intact. Well, sometimes you can change the characters' personalities — like writing a good Wickham, as I have done before — but for characters like Elizabeth and Darcy, they must essentially stay the same.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Sometimes it's getting started, sometimes transitioning from one event to another, sometimes it's getting finished. I first started writing professionally ten years ago, but unfortunately my first forays weren't very profitable, and that led me to consider giving up. I also go through these periods where I just can't seem to get motivated to do anything, be it writing, reading, or watching something on TV. Times like that, writing tends to still go on in my head, but getting the work done is a struggle. I've since been diagnosed with clinical depression, which really explains a lot to me in why I sometimes find it hard to get interested in anything even though it is something I really enjoy doing.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Writing and editing and character development are hard work. Keeping the plot flowing and tying everything together really does take a lot of effort. Writing isn't just sitting down and writing; there's so much more involved than just typing or writing the words — especially if you're an indie like me and you have to do most of the post-writing work yourself.
Also, I've made my books available in paperback before, but now KDP offers a hardback option. I do my own covers (my years and years of photo editing experience helps a lot). The proportions for the hardback cover are different than for the paperback, so it was a learning curve getting the scale right.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Go for it. If you have an idea rolling around in your head, sit yourself down and write it. Just get it all out, even if it's just notes or a rough outline, and worry about making it presentable later. I also highly recommend forging connections with other writers in your preferred genre if you can, because they can give you great advice and support. You also want to connect with readers of your genre so that you can get an idea of what it is they like to see in the stories they read.
Is there any musical group or singer that inspires your writing?
Oh, absolutely. When I'm writing, I like to think of songs that would make for a good soundtrack to certain scenes, just like in a movie. I often hear 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park and Nickelback in my head, and I've also thought of Hunter Hayes, Kelly Clarkson and Patty Loveless, among others. I've made lists of the songs that got me through my books and plan to get them up on my blog one of these days.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so very much for your interest in my book. I really hope you enjoy it enough to come back for more!
Christine is offering an e-book of A Promise of Forever to one lucky participant throughout the blog tour so comment away. The giveaway is open until Tuesday, 25 January 2022 which leaves you plenty of time. Do take note that comment moderation is enabled so don't worry if you don't see your comment straight away.
Author Interview
What inspired you to write your first book?I've wanted to write for a very long time. In fact, when I was about 20, I started writing a romantic suspense novel I'd titled The Princess Spy, and I think I got about seven or eight chapters into it before I stopped writing it. I don't recall the reason why I stopped, but I would certainly love to find the notebook it's written in so I can polish it up and finish it.
Of course, that's a contemporary romance/romantic suspense story and not a JAFF novel. My first forays in professional writing were in paranormal romance and romantic suspense under my own name. JAFF — or Austenesque literature, as some authors like to call it — is where I seem to have found my niche, because it's the genre which has actually earned me some money. I was inspired to write my first Austen variation, The Correction of Folly, when I was researching how it was legal to even write such books and not get sued for copyright infringement.
How did you come up with the titles of each book?
I think of the theme of the book to create a title, or sometimes it's a line of dialogue or prose that strikes me. I've also considered lines of poetry or quotes from Austen novels for future books I want to write.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I suppose that if there is a message in A Promise of Forever, it's one of forgiveness. Don't hold a grudge, because that only leads to bitterness and resentment. In this book, the main theme was about Elizabeth and Darcy accepting the truth and then moving on with their lives — together, of course.
Are experiences in the book based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Not in any of the JAFF books I've written so far, but I was in a car accident some years ago that I wrote into a romantic suspense novel published under my own name.
What books have most influenced your life most?
Paranormal romance, romantic suspense, and mysteries/thrillers influence me — and of course historical romance, especially the Regency era. I know these are genres and not individual books, but I really couldn't put a finger on any one particular book or books that have influenced me more than any other. I think any book that I read and really enjoy influences me in some small way.
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
For my Austen variations, the "mentor" is obvious — Jane Austen herself. I try to emulate her style while writing my own versions of her stories.
What book are you reading now?
Not really reading anything at the moment, though goodness knows I have a dragon's hoard worth of books on my TBR list.
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Since entering the JAFF community, I have met some incredible authors. I've read some of their books, so I would say Maria Grace and J. Dawn King for authors who have been around a little while. For newer authors like myself, I like Jayne Bamber and Mirta Ines Trupp. I've even met and conversed with some of these wonderful ladies through Facebook.
What are your current projects?
Well, I've literally just released a book, so there's that, lol. I do also have a prologue and first chapter of another book on file, and I'm hoping my brain will let me get that one going again before fixating on one of the other three dozen ideas I have!
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?
There's nothing major that I can think of, but if I were so inclined, I might re-word a few scenes to make them work differently.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I don't really know how or when, except my earliest memory involving writing goes back to when I was in grade school, and I'd written some short story (just a few paragraphs, I imagine) that was apparently good enough to be brought to the principal's attention. It involved dinosaurs. But ever since then, when I've had to do any creative writing, I've strived to make it interesting.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
With Austen variations, the key is writing your own story with her characters while keeping their personalities intact. Well, sometimes you can change the characters' personalities — like writing a good Wickham, as I have done before — but for characters like Elizabeth and Darcy, they must essentially stay the same.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Sometimes it's getting started, sometimes transitioning from one event to another, sometimes it's getting finished. I first started writing professionally ten years ago, but unfortunately my first forays weren't very profitable, and that led me to consider giving up. I also go through these periods where I just can't seem to get motivated to do anything, be it writing, reading, or watching something on TV. Times like that, writing tends to still go on in my head, but getting the work done is a struggle. I've since been diagnosed with clinical depression, which really explains a lot to me in why I sometimes find it hard to get interested in anything even though it is something I really enjoy doing.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Writing and editing and character development are hard work. Keeping the plot flowing and tying everything together really does take a lot of effort. Writing isn't just sitting down and writing; there's so much more involved than just typing or writing the words — especially if you're an indie like me and you have to do most of the post-writing work yourself.
Also, I've made my books available in paperback before, but now KDP offers a hardback option. I do my own covers (my years and years of photo editing experience helps a lot). The proportions for the hardback cover are different than for the paperback, so it was a learning curve getting the scale right.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Go for it. If you have an idea rolling around in your head, sit yourself down and write it. Just get it all out, even if it's just notes or a rough outline, and worry about making it presentable later. I also highly recommend forging connections with other writers in your preferred genre if you can, because they can give you great advice and support. You also want to connect with readers of your genre so that you can get an idea of what it is they like to see in the stories they read.
Is there any musical group or singer that inspires your writing?
Oh, absolutely. When I'm writing, I like to think of songs that would make for a good soundtrack to certain scenes, just like in a movie. I often hear 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park and Nickelback in my head, and I've also thought of Hunter Hayes, Kelly Clarkson and Patty Loveless, among others. I've made lists of the songs that got me through my books and plan to get them up on my blog one of these days.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so very much for your interest in my book. I really hope you enjoy it enough to come back for more!
Book Blurb
In this new Austenesque tale, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner are Elizabeth's parents and she grows up happy and carefree in Lambton. At sixteen, Lizzy meets and falls in love with Fitzwilliam Darcy, future Master of Pemberley. The couple decides to elope but they are torn apart by their closest relatives, and when reunited must determine whether the pain of the years that have passed can be overcome to regain the love that was lost.
Author Bio
Christine, like many a JAFF author before her, is a long-time admirer of Jane Austen's work, and she hopes that her alternate versions are as enjoyable as the originals. She has plans to one day visit England and take a tour of all the grand country estates which have featured in film adaptations, and often dreams of owning one. Christine lives in Ohio and is already at work on her next book.
Giveaway
Thank you very much for the kind invitation to be included in the blog tour, Christine. My very best to you in your writing career and hopefully you will find success in other genre. Please drop by again when you have other new Austenesque novels to release.Christine is offering an e-book of A Promise of Forever to one lucky participant throughout the blog tour so comment away. The giveaway is open until Tuesday, 25 January 2022 which leaves you plenty of time. Do take note that comment moderation is enabled so don't worry if you don't see your comment straight away.


Thank you for this post and sharing about yourself. Intrigued/eager to know all that happened between these two esp how they will find their way back to each other. Thank you for the chance to win a copy
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the interview. Congrats on the release!
ReplyDeleteI am curious why your Jaff titles are not written under your real name.
ReplyDelete