The weekend is upon us and what better way to relax and enjoy Joana Starnes's newest release. If you have not read The Darcy Legacy yet, you are in for a treat as Joana has embarked on a virtual tour to introduce this Pride and Prejudice variation. This is her maiden visit to My Love for Jane Austen so let's give a warm welcome to her. Don't miss the chance to win one of the many prizes sponsored by the author.
I have often wondered how Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's courtship would have evolved, were it not for that ill-judged and so ungentlemanlike 'She is tolerable, I suppose...'
This is an angle I explored in The Darcy Legacy. What if their acquaintance did not start on the wrong foot? What if Mr Darcy did not hurt Elizabeth's feelings and her pride at the Meryton assembly — and if he did blunder, it was in a way that she could find rather amusing? (If you've read my guest post on Candy's blog yesterday, you know what I mean).
What if they discovered they had some things in common? What if, instead of making stilted conversation with a new acquaintance, Mr Darcy would grow sufficiently comfortable as to present his pleasant and more than a little intriguing side to Elizabeth? In short, what if she had good enough reasons to fall for him from the start?
The following excerpt hints at possibilities. Please read on, and I hope you'll like it.
"What a lovely treehouse!"
He might have chosen a manlier epithet, Darcy thought, but praise be, he did not call the construction admirable. Whether or not he had paused out of genuine interest or in an endeavour to manoeuvre himself into offering Miss Bennet his arm was hard to tell, but Bingley continued:
"The youngster who had the run of it strikes me as a lucky little fellow. It must have afforded hours of amusement."
"It did," Miss Elizabeth replied. "I speak with good information, as I was that lucky youngster."
Bingley's eyes widened into a ludicrous picture of disbelief.
"You?"
For his part, Darcy was rather more adept at keeping his surprise in check, but he was no less astounded to find that she would make so little effort to portray herself as demure and ladylike, but openly declared herself a tomboy. It was as if she did not know or did not care that a languid manner was de rigueur in her more sophisticated counterparts. Perhaps sophistication was not within her reach. Or perhaps the tomboyish air was a different sort of affectation. But nay, that was probably unkind. The playful twitch of her lips was wholly artless when she replied:
"Just so. I have always favoured the outdoors. The treehouse also happened to be a perfect spot for reading."
"Was it? Up there?" Bingley rather ungentlemanly continued to give voice to his incredulity.
"An uncommon choice, I grant you," Miss Elizabeth conceded, then indicated her younger sisters, who were still making a considerable racket. "As you can see, our house can be rather boisterous at times. The treetops — not so much."
"Might I ask what you were reading?" Bingley asked, sidling closer to her elder sister.
"Oh, anything and everything," she said with a careless little gesture.
"Do you know, Darcy," Bingley said, taking another step towards Miss Bennet as he kept looking up — it was a mercy that he did not trip — "I think I chanced upon your treehouse once. But I imagine you did not need to take refuge there to read. Pemberley must have been sufficiently quiet."
Aye. Too quiet, Darcy inwardly acknowledged. His treehouse was never used as a reading room, but had served in turn as a quarterdeck, a mountaintop or a castle turret, over hours of imaginative amusement with Fitzwilliam — and with one who later chose to make designs upon his sister's happiness and fortune, a grim thought intruded, and brought a grim scowl with it.
An affectionate soul, but never one for tact, Bingley was quick to offer:
"Oh, I beg your pardon. I thought they were happy recollections."
Darcy forced them all aside, good recollections and bad, and smoothed his countenance into the expected blandness.
"They were," was all he said.
A vast deal more tactful than Bingley, seemingly, the second Miss Bennet saw fit to change the subject.
"So, where do you hail from, Mr Darcy?" she asked.
"Derbyshire. Pemberley, near Lambton," he told her, convinced she already knew. The gossips of Meryton must have gained enough information from Bingley's servants, and widely distributed it. But the wide smile that curled the corners of her lips seemed to be artless yet again, and her surprise genuine.
"Lambton? How extraordinary."
Failing to see what was so extraordinary about it, Darcy asked, "How so?"
"One of my aunts was born and raised in Lambton. A charming and most welcoming village."
The coincidence was extraordinary, Darcy allowed, so his guarded manner softened by a fraction.
"I take it you have visited it."
"Indeed. My uncle and aunt once took me with them on a tour of pleasure to the north of England. Sadly, it was rather a long time ago, and I remember little."
"You probably remember the bookshop in Lambton," Darcy observed, given the disclosures about the uses for her treehouse.
"I know there was one, and that we visited it," she said. "But I must own that I was less of a voracious reader at the time, and I have far more vivid recollections of a different place — a lovely shop on Angel Street, with a window full of unsurpassed delights."
A warm smile stole upon Darcy's lips without his notice.
"Mrs Allen's sweetshop, was it?"
She gave a musical little laugh.
"Of course. What else? I must say, that lady's almond macaroons and cherry confits still remain the best I have ever tasted."
Darcy's smile grew wider.
"I agree. I will be sure to let Mrs Allen know when next I see her that her confectionery made such a lasting impression."
"Pray do, and convey my thanks. Oh, and my compliments for her lavender drops. I have not found their like anywhere else."
Darcy could not fail to endorse that opinion too.
"My sister missed them greatly when she left Derbyshire for town. She found some consolation at Gunter's, eventually. His lavender cachous were deemed a fair substitute. But she still urged me to call upon Mrs Allen with a sizeable order, every time I came to see her at Mrs Rossiter's school."
Mrs Allen's sweet-shop might very well be artistic license. It was in Victorian times that the sweet shop well and truly flourished (and you can read more about that here). As for Gunter's, it was as far removed from a homely village shop as could be, and not only in geographical terms (we can easily see that in this delightful post at Jane Austen's World).
Mrs Allen's shop would have been of a very different kind. It might have looked a little like the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop (but without the teddy-bears 😉 and perhaps with a wider assortment of home-baked goodies).
Catering for the many visitors that had begun to travel to the north of England in quest of the picturesque, Mrs Allen might very well have sold Bakewell tarts, sugared buns, plum cakes, scones, tea cakes, the macaroons and confits Elizabeth mentioned, and maybe a good selection of boiled sweets too.
Given the age difference between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy, it's not possible to imagine them as two ten- or eleven-year-olds bumping into each other (literally) while their eyes were glued to the delights in Mrs Allen's window. Darcy would have been almost eight years older. But wouldn't that make a rather sweet picture and open several intriguing possibilities of its own?
How is Mr Bennet to enjoy the comforts of a well-stocked library, when his wife's premature demise had left him with the task of finding suitable matches for their daughters? And what of a misleading encounter on a muddy lane in Hertfordshire, that renders a country-town assembly rather more tolerable than some might have thought?
Shades of mystery, meddlesome relations — not least a drenched Adonis — raillery, old errors and a very recent union make for a challenging courtship when Fitzwilliam Darcy is not on his own ground. Yet when love is the reward, challenges make it more worth the earning.
She is the author of eight Austen-inspired novels: From This Day Forward ~ The Darcys of Pemberley, The Subsequent Proposal, The Second Chance, The Falmouth Connection, The Unthinkable Triangle, Miss Darcy's Companion, Mr Bennet's Dutiful Daughter and The Darcy Legacy, and one of the contributing authors to The Darcy Monologues, Dangerous to Know and the upcoming Rational Creatures (due in October 2018).
The author is providing ten e-books of The Darcy Legacy, twenty Audible codes to listen to her audiobook and a US$25 Amazon gift card. So fill up the the following Rafflecopter form to enter this international competition which closes at midnight Pacific EST on Monday, 16 July 2018.
Guest Post
Thanks, Lúthien84, for having me as your guest today, on the blog tour for my newest book, The Darcy Legacy.I have often wondered how Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's courtship would have evolved, were it not for that ill-judged and so ungentlemanlike 'She is tolerable, I suppose...'
This is an angle I explored in The Darcy Legacy. What if their acquaintance did not start on the wrong foot? What if Mr Darcy did not hurt Elizabeth's feelings and her pride at the Meryton assembly — and if he did blunder, it was in a way that she could find rather amusing? (If you've read my guest post on Candy's blog yesterday, you know what I mean).
What if they discovered they had some things in common? What if, instead of making stilted conversation with a new acquaintance, Mr Darcy would grow sufficiently comfortable as to present his pleasant and more than a little intriguing side to Elizabeth? In short, what if she had good enough reasons to fall for him from the start?
The following excerpt hints at possibilities. Please read on, and I hope you'll like it.
Excerpt
Miss Lydia and Miss Kitty promptly ran off towards a swing hanging from the tallest tree without stopping to excuse themselves, and proceeded to take turns in it with shrieks of delight, leaving their sisters to show the visitors around the garden. Bingley was rather less than pleased, Darcy noted, to amble at his side rather than arm in arm with Miss Bennet, who was walking ahead with Miss Elizabeth. Nevertheless, he went forth with good grace, until he stopped to look up and exclaim:"What a lovely treehouse!"
He might have chosen a manlier epithet, Darcy thought, but praise be, he did not call the construction admirable. Whether or not he had paused out of genuine interest or in an endeavour to manoeuvre himself into offering Miss Bennet his arm was hard to tell, but Bingley continued:
"The youngster who had the run of it strikes me as a lucky little fellow. It must have afforded hours of amusement."
"It did," Miss Elizabeth replied. "I speak with good information, as I was that lucky youngster."
Bingley's eyes widened into a ludicrous picture of disbelief.
"You?"
For his part, Darcy was rather more adept at keeping his surprise in check, but he was no less astounded to find that she would make so little effort to portray herself as demure and ladylike, but openly declared herself a tomboy. It was as if she did not know or did not care that a languid manner was de rigueur in her more sophisticated counterparts. Perhaps sophistication was not within her reach. Or perhaps the tomboyish air was a different sort of affectation. But nay, that was probably unkind. The playful twitch of her lips was wholly artless when she replied:
"Just so. I have always favoured the outdoors. The treehouse also happened to be a perfect spot for reading."
"Was it? Up there?" Bingley rather ungentlemanly continued to give voice to his incredulity.
"An uncommon choice, I grant you," Miss Elizabeth conceded, then indicated her younger sisters, who were still making a considerable racket. "As you can see, our house can be rather boisterous at times. The treetops — not so much."
"Might I ask what you were reading?" Bingley asked, sidling closer to her elder sister.
"Oh, anything and everything," she said with a careless little gesture.
"Do you know, Darcy," Bingley said, taking another step towards Miss Bennet as he kept looking up — it was a mercy that he did not trip — "I think I chanced upon your treehouse once. But I imagine you did not need to take refuge there to read. Pemberley must have been sufficiently quiet."
Aye. Too quiet, Darcy inwardly acknowledged. His treehouse was never used as a reading room, but had served in turn as a quarterdeck, a mountaintop or a castle turret, over hours of imaginative amusement with Fitzwilliam — and with one who later chose to make designs upon his sister's happiness and fortune, a grim thought intruded, and brought a grim scowl with it.
An affectionate soul, but never one for tact, Bingley was quick to offer:
"Oh, I beg your pardon. I thought they were happy recollections."
Darcy forced them all aside, good recollections and bad, and smoothed his countenance into the expected blandness.
"They were," was all he said.
A vast deal more tactful than Bingley, seemingly, the second Miss Bennet saw fit to change the subject.
"So, where do you hail from, Mr Darcy?" she asked.
"Derbyshire. Pemberley, near Lambton," he told her, convinced she already knew. The gossips of Meryton must have gained enough information from Bingley's servants, and widely distributed it. But the wide smile that curled the corners of her lips seemed to be artless yet again, and her surprise genuine.
"Lambton? How extraordinary."
Failing to see what was so extraordinary about it, Darcy asked, "How so?"
"One of my aunts was born and raised in Lambton. A charming and most welcoming village."
The coincidence was extraordinary, Darcy allowed, so his guarded manner softened by a fraction.
"I take it you have visited it."
"Indeed. My uncle and aunt once took me with them on a tour of pleasure to the north of England. Sadly, it was rather a long time ago, and I remember little."
"You probably remember the bookshop in Lambton," Darcy observed, given the disclosures about the uses for her treehouse.
"I know there was one, and that we visited it," she said. "But I must own that I was less of a voracious reader at the time, and I have far more vivid recollections of a different place — a lovely shop on Angel Street, with a window full of unsurpassed delights."
A warm smile stole upon Darcy's lips without his notice.
"Mrs Allen's sweetshop, was it?"
She gave a musical little laugh.
"Of course. What else? I must say, that lady's almond macaroons and cherry confits still remain the best I have ever tasted."
Darcy's smile grew wider.
"I agree. I will be sure to let Mrs Allen know when next I see her that her confectionery made such a lasting impression."
"Pray do, and convey my thanks. Oh, and my compliments for her lavender drops. I have not found their like anywhere else."
Darcy could not fail to endorse that opinion too.
"My sister missed them greatly when she left Derbyshire for town. She found some consolation at Gunter's, eventually. His lavender cachous were deemed a fair substitute. But she still urged me to call upon Mrs Allen with a sizeable order, every time I came to see her at Mrs Rossiter's school."
Mrs Allen's sweet-shop might very well be artistic license. It was in Victorian times that the sweet shop well and truly flourished (and you can read more about that here). As for Gunter's, it was as far removed from a homely village shop as could be, and not only in geographical terms (we can easily see that in this delightful post at Jane Austen's World).
Mrs Allen's shop would have been of a very different kind. It might have looked a little like the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop (but without the teddy-bears 😉 and perhaps with a wider assortment of home-baked goodies).
(Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop, Bakewell, Derbyshire — Photo J Starnes)
Catering for the many visitors that had begun to travel to the north of England in quest of the picturesque, Mrs Allen might very well have sold Bakewell tarts, sugared buns, plum cakes, scones, tea cakes, the macaroons and confits Elizabeth mentioned, and maybe a good selection of boiled sweets too.
Given the age difference between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy, it's not possible to imagine them as two ten- or eleven-year-olds bumping into each other (literally) while their eyes were glued to the delights in Mrs Allen's window. Darcy would have been almost eight years older. But wouldn't that make a rather sweet picture and open several intriguing possibilities of its own?
Book Blurb
Pemberley's ancient halls harbour many secrets. Which one will affect Fitzwilliam Darcy and the love of his life?How is Mr Bennet to enjoy the comforts of a well-stocked library, when his wife's premature demise had left him with the task of finding suitable matches for their daughters? And what of a misleading encounter on a muddy lane in Hertfordshire, that renders a country-town assembly rather more tolerable than some might have thought?
Shades of mystery, meddlesome relations — not least a drenched Adonis — raillery, old errors and a very recent union make for a challenging courtship when Fitzwilliam Darcy is not on his own ground. Yet when love is the reward, challenges make it more worth the earning.
Author Bio
Joana Starnes lives in the south of England with her family. Over the years, she has swapped several hats — physician, lecturer, clinical data analyst — but feels most comfortable in a bonnet. She has been living in Georgian England for decades in her imagination and plans to continue in that vein till she lays hands on a time machine.She is the author of eight Austen-inspired novels: From This Day Forward ~ The Darcys of Pemberley, The Subsequent Proposal, The Second Chance, The Falmouth Connection, The Unthinkable Triangle, Miss Darcy's Companion, Mr Bennet's Dutiful Daughter and The Darcy Legacy, and one of the contributing authors to The Darcy Monologues, Dangerous to Know and the upcoming Rational Creatures (due in October 2018).
Giveaway
The ever generous Joana has brought along some amazing gifts for followers of the tour. But before we get into the details, please allow me to thank Joana for agreeing to appear on my blog and share an enticing excerpt. It's certainly refreshing to have a glimpse of Darcy, Elizabeth and Bingley though it seems that Jane is very quiet in this scene. Claudine Pepe, thank you for inviting me to participate in this blog tour.The author is providing ten e-books of The Darcy Legacy, twenty Audible codes to listen to her audiobook and a US$25 Amazon gift card. So fill up the the following Rafflecopter form to enter this international competition which closes at midnight Pacific EST on Monday, 16 July 2018.









Even if they did not meet in Lambton as children, they still have a shared memory of it - it can't help but bring them close. How funny that Darcy is torn between wanting to disparage and be enchanted by a tomboyish young Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteThank you for another lovely excerpt!
"How funny that Darcy is torn between wanting to disparage and be enchanted by a tomboyish young Elizabeth!"
DeleteSo glad you liked that, Agnes! He comes in with his prejudices and his townish ideas of ladylike behaviour, only to discover that she's above all that and has no time for airs and pretence. So glad you liked the excerpt and I hope you'll like the rest of the book too!
Best wishes and thanks for following the blog tour!
Loved this excerpt! I can just imagine Elizabeth snuggled amid the branches, high above the world in her treehouse,lost in the pages of a book!
ReplyDeleteOh! I can see Darcy being a very loyal customer of Mrs Allen's sweet shop, especially in the event of his expecting such an important visitor to Pemberley!
The thought of them meeting at the sweet shop in Lambton,,faces pressed against the front window,peering longingly at the sugary displays within,is so endearing!
Joana,you're the wordsmith....if you deem it possible,so it shall be!! Are we to expect a scene similar to this in your next book,pray tell?!
Thanks to all concerned for this delightful snapshot!
I think she'd love a treehouse, Mary, and she's tomboyish enough to scamper up the ladder in no time at all :)
DeleteLOL yes, probably Darcy would deplete the whole almond macaroon supply, in preparation for Elizabeth's arrival (and buy all the lavender drops when he goes to visit Georgiana in London).
I'd LOVE to write about such a scene,"faces pressed against the front window, peering longingly at the sugary displays within." So lovely and endearing! Since he's 8 years older, I think we'll have to be talking about a 4-5 year old Lizzy and a 12-13 year old future master of Pemberley. That should work ;) . A 5 year old Lizzy with a headful of curls must be so adorable!! Maybe she drops her bag of sweets and is upset about it, but valiantly seeks to be grown up and not cry, and young Fitzwilliam shares his almond macaroon, hence her lifelong love for that sweet treat in association with a happy memory? :) Oh, the possibilities are endless :))
Thanks for following the blog tour and leaving all these wonderful comments!
Thanks so much for the wonderful welcome, Sylvia! It's lovely to be your guest :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a pleasure to host you, Joana. I hope you have the time to come back and respond to all the comments here. Thanks again.
DeleteHi, Sylvia
DeleteOh, sure, of course I've got time, it's a pleasure! I did keep checking several times a day ever since the post went live, but no comments were shown, so after a while I stopped checking. What a lovely surprise to now discover that there were so many tucked into the system! I'll reply to all those wonderful comments asap!
Thanks again for hosting me and have a fun & relaxing July!
Oh Mrs Allens Macaroons sound anazing! My grandmother served them sometimes fot tea but I haven’t had one in years. How wonderful to see that moment between Elizabeth and Darcy when they find out they have so much/memories in common :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you liked that scene, Jo's Daughter! There's so much potential in Lambton being Mrs Lambton's home town! BTW, have you read Nicole Clarkston's 'The Courtship of Edward Gardiner?' SO wonderful! Loved that book, the sweetness of the Gardiners' courtship and Elizabeth & Darcy's beginnings. Perfect!
DeleteOh dear :D
DeleteOoops, didn't see what I was typing. Lambton being Mrs Gardiner's home town, not Mrs Lambton's :D (not that you needed me to come back and say that, but aaanyway...)
Thank you all for reading and commenting and thanks again Sylvia for hosting me!
I get more intrigued by each excerpt I read....
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that, Ria! Hope you'll like the full story if you read it.
DeleteSurprised that Bingley didn't try and talk to Jame when Darcy and Elizabeth were conversing
ReplyDeleteLOL he's getting there, Susan :))
DeleteWhat a lovely scene. Thanks for sharing. Darcy is definitely letting down his guard for Elizabeth.
ReplyDeleteSo happy you liked the scene, Dung! Thanks so much for stopping by to read it!
DeleteA very sweet (literally) excerpt! And I love the image of Lizzy reading in her treehouse refuge. It sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
What a lovely comment, Pamela, thank you!! So glad you liked the sweetshop idea and the treehouse. Thanks for following the blog tour and best of luck in the giveaway.
DeleteWell there you go, Darcy needs to go and get Elizabeth some cherry comfits and lavender drops! Then maybe they could meet in the tree house?
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this excerpt. I'm loving it more and more.
Best idea ever, Glynis!!! After all, he does have a treehouse at Pemberley. And that would finally get Elizaneth up in a tree, which I'm sure will make Mira very happy :D
DeleteHave a great summer and thanks for following the blog tour and leaving all these gorgeous comments!
Cute excerpt! It's nice that they have a shared remembrance, even if it wasn't together.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I was thinking, Ginna - what if they didn't start off with 'She's tolerable, I suppose,' for once? :D
DeleteAwesome excerpt, I enjoyed reading it :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy you liked it, Victoria! Thanks!! Best of luck in the giveaway and thanks for stopping by to read the excerpt.
DeleteI don't know what is happening to my posts lately. I commented on this yesterday but it isn't showing here.
ReplyDeleteI think Darcy should go and get Elizabeth some cherry comfits and lavender drops then they should go in the tree house and he should kiss her :)
Thanks for another great excerpt.
Love this idea even better than the first one, Glynis!! The second scenario has a kiss in it ;) . Perfect, just perfect!! Thanks for sharing that lovely thought with us :))
DeleteThis is my second attempt to post a comment,so here goes!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this excerpt and can very well imagine Elizabeth snuggled up,high above the works,in her treehouse,immersed in a book,lost to the outside world,it's trials and tribulations.
And yes,I can imagine Elizabeth proudly proclaiming that she was the semi permanent resident of said residence and not caring a bit if it upset the sensibilities of others!!
As for ODC,as children,faces pressed against the window of Mrs Allen's sweet shop,staring hungrily at the sugary feast before them....well,Joana,you,my dear ate the wordsmith,if you wish it,so it will be!!!!
Do I take it then that a similar scene will be woven into your next story....??
Thanks SO much for your wonderful words, Mary, and your faith in me!! I'd love to keep writing scenes you like.
DeleteLOL "Elizabeth proudly proclaiming that she was the semi permanent resident of said residence and not caring a bit if it upset the sensibilities of others!!" She would too, that's so much like her!!!
Thanks for all your wonderful comments, they're such a joy to read!
This is my third attempt at posting a comment...not sure if it's me,the Internet or the blog,but here goes!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this excerpt and can well imagine Elizabeth nestled comfortably in her treehouse,engrossed in a book,ignoring life's trials and turmoils.
I love to think of her proudly proclaiming rights of residency over said treehouse disregarding the porential disapproval of the gents present!
How wonderful it would be to see both Lizzie and Darcy,as kids,with their Danes pressed eagerly against Mrs Allen's sweet shop window,hungrily devouring the sugary treats with their eyes! You and the wordsmith,Joana...if you wish it,so it shall be....! Are we to assume that a similar scene will be found in your next book???
Cheers to all concerned for this lovely post!!
I absolutely love how your comments got even more wonderful and more detailed with every attempt, Mary! Just like Glynis', with the added kiss ;) . Thank you both so much for coming back several times, much appreciated! Best wishes and thanks again for the joy your comments gave me!!
DeleteEnjoyed the excerpt especially their discussion of sweets. So cute.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you liked it, DarcyBennet :)) Thank you!!
DeleteBest wishes and thanks for your interest and all your comments, you're so kind!
Dear Glynis and Mary,
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my blog to check if your comments were published. Fyi, comment moderation is enabled and all comments were not approved them until today. So it's not a problem on your side or a glitch on blogger. My apologies for the inconvenience caused. Hope you have an enjoyable time visiting all the blog stops.
Lúthien84,
ReplyDeleteAploogies!!! I'm technically challenged,so I presumed the non appearance of my first comment was down to me!! Hence my second and third comments.....!!!
I wanted to support Joana,her book and blog tour and didn't want her visit at your site to be the only one I missed.
Thank you for your understanding. ��