Welcome to the penultimate stop of Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley blog tour. Would you like to know more of the author of this newly published Pride and Prejudice romantic fantasy? Then you have come to the right place as Kelly Miller has graciously agreed to answer some burning questions that I have about herself. Don't forget to participate in the giveaway below as you can win an e-book of her novel.
As strange as it may seem, I was a fan of the actor Colin Firth since I first saw the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride & Prejudice on television, and enjoyed the story enough to wish to read the book, but I did not become a true Jane Austen fan until maybe three or four years ago. Romance was never a favourite genre of mine for reading or movies; I preferred other genres, like suspense, horror and mystery. Somehow, several years ago, I wandered into the website A Happy Assembly, and after reading one of the stories I was hooked. That led me to want to read about Jane Austen's life and her letters, which reveal so much of her personality.
What drove you to start writing your own books? Did you write other things before writing Austenesque stories?
Until two years ago, I had never attempted to write anything other than work-related reports. I wrote my first Pride & Prejudice variation as a challenge to myself to write a story I would want to read. I think it is essential to enjoy reading your own stories since it is necessary to go over them so many times during the editing process. My stories all take place in Regency England, because that setting is part of the fascination of Jane Austen's stories for me.
Do you have a muse that causes your story to lead you at times or do you use an outline and follow it religiously? What is your writing routine? Is there any setting that is more inspirational to you when writing?
I have never followed a true outline. At times, I will write down ideas, or a timeline as I go along, but not ahead of time. I find that as I write, the story takes on a life of its own, and leads me in directions I did not necessarily anticipate. I might have an ending in mind, but the road towards that ending often takes sudden, unexpected turns.
I do not have a set writing time; I write whenever I have the chance, but take frequent breaks to do other things like walk the dogs or play the piano.
No particular setting for writing is more inspirational than others, but I find that ideas often come to me when I am working out on my Nordic Track or out walking.
Tell us something about your newest book that you love most. (if you can without giving anything away)
In Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley, the love that Elizabeth and Darcy have for each other is evident throughout. It is like a bright light burning despite any adversity the couple might face.
What have you learned from writing that has helped you in your daily life?
It was a surprise for me to find I had forgotten a good number of the grammar rules I had learned in school and needed to review them. Since I started writing, I believe I punctuate my emails better than before.
Is there anything special about yourself or your writing that you would be willing to share with us?
I love animals and have featured horses and dogs in all of my stories. As a young girl, I was obsessed with horses and worked part-time jobs so I could buy my own horse at the age of 16. My dream of marrying a cowboy and living on a ranch never materialised, but these days, I am content in the suburbs with my husband, daughter, two dogs and rabbit.
Do you have a modern day author that has inspired you? If yes, what was it about their writing that was an inspiration?
I have an appreciation for Ruth Rendell's stories written under the pen name Barbara Vine. She writes stories that are unsettling in a way that makes you think about them long you have finished reading them. As a teen, my favourite writer was Agatha Christie.
What do you love most about Mr. Darcy? About Elizabeth?
Mr. Darcy, though a rich gentleman, invokes sympathy because he lost both of his parents and was left with much responsibility, including the care of his sister. He is an introvert, which I can relate to, and I believe it to be a disadvantage in life. He makes mistakes, but he selflessly saves Lydia from ruin at great expense to himself without the expectation of Elizabeth ever learning of it. That makes him swoon-worthy.
Elizabeth, though she has her faults, is blessed with the advantage of being charming, intelligent and articulate. She is the ideal heroine.
Since you mentioned the 1995 Pride and Prejudice BBC series, what is your favourite Jane Austen adaptation?
The 1995 Pride & Prejudice BBC Series is number one for me. I also love the 1995 version of Persuasion, made for British TV, starring Ciarian Hinds and Amanda Root.
How much research did you do while writing Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley? Can you give us an example?
Actually, compared to some of my other stories, I did much less research for this story. My novel takes place in the space of a week and no time is spent outside of Pemberley or Lambton, so I did not have to research any specific places as I have done for other novels. However, having made the decision to try to limit myself to words from the time period of my story, there was much checking and cross-checking involved in doing that. It was challenging to not use certain words, such as "mesmerise" for example, which was not in use until 1819.
Any plans to write a contemporary novel based on Jane Austen's works?
I have no plan as of now. For me, a large part of the draw for Jane Austen's stories is the Regency England setting, so a contemporary version has not yet appealed to me as a writer, but I never say never.
Besides Darcy and Elizabeth, who is your favourite hero and heroine from Jane Austen's books?
Captain Frederick Wentworth and Anne Elliot are my second favourite hero and heroine. I recently completed a Regency Persuasion variation called A Divergent Persuasion.
What is next for you? Do you have an idea on what you will be working on?
I have begun to work on a Pride & Prejudice continuation that centres upon Elizabeth's introduction to society in London. The happy couple will deal with an anonymous enemy who seems bent upon destroying their marriage. In addition, I have another Pride & Prejudice variation due out early next year from Meryton Press entitled, Mr. Darcy's Perfect Match. Watch for it at Meryton Press's website under the section, "In the Works".
Fitzwilliam Darcy's well-ordered life is about to become a chaotic nightmare. A man of fortune, property and social prominence, he has everything he could desire. Blissfully married to his wife, Elizabeth, they have a two-year-old son. With so much to live for, Darcy is shaken by a near-fatal riding accident. After a miraculous escape, he is visited by an otherworldly being: an angel of death named Graham. Threatening dire consequences, Graham compels Darcy to guide him on a sojourn in the world of mortals.
Darcy immediately questions the angel's motives when he demands to be a guest at Pemberley. Can he trust Graham's assurance that no harm will come to his wife and child? And why does Graham insist on spending time with Elizabeth? How can Darcy possibly protect his family from an angel with power over life and death?
In this romantic fantasy, the beloved couple from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice must contend with both human and unearthly challenges. Are the fates against them? Or will their extraordinary love conquer all?
Friends, what do you think of Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley? Would you like to read it? Then do enter the contest as her publisher is sponsoring eight e-books of the novel. Hurry because there are only a few days left. Remember to fill up the Rafflecopter form below.
Author Interview
How and when did your interest in Jane Austen take root?As strange as it may seem, I was a fan of the actor Colin Firth since I first saw the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride & Prejudice on television, and enjoyed the story enough to wish to read the book, but I did not become a true Jane Austen fan until maybe three or four years ago. Romance was never a favourite genre of mine for reading or movies; I preferred other genres, like suspense, horror and mystery. Somehow, several years ago, I wandered into the website A Happy Assembly, and after reading one of the stories I was hooked. That led me to want to read about Jane Austen's life and her letters, which reveal so much of her personality.
What drove you to start writing your own books? Did you write other things before writing Austenesque stories?
Until two years ago, I had never attempted to write anything other than work-related reports. I wrote my first Pride & Prejudice variation as a challenge to myself to write a story I would want to read. I think it is essential to enjoy reading your own stories since it is necessary to go over them so many times during the editing process. My stories all take place in Regency England, because that setting is part of the fascination of Jane Austen's stories for me.
Do you have a muse that causes your story to lead you at times or do you use an outline and follow it religiously? What is your writing routine? Is there any setting that is more inspirational to you when writing?
I have never followed a true outline. At times, I will write down ideas, or a timeline as I go along, but not ahead of time. I find that as I write, the story takes on a life of its own, and leads me in directions I did not necessarily anticipate. I might have an ending in mind, but the road towards that ending often takes sudden, unexpected turns.
I do not have a set writing time; I write whenever I have the chance, but take frequent breaks to do other things like walk the dogs or play the piano.
No particular setting for writing is more inspirational than others, but I find that ideas often come to me when I am working out on my Nordic Track or out walking.
Tell us something about your newest book that you love most. (if you can without giving anything away)
In Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley, the love that Elizabeth and Darcy have for each other is evident throughout. It is like a bright light burning despite any adversity the couple might face.
What have you learned from writing that has helped you in your daily life?
It was a surprise for me to find I had forgotten a good number of the grammar rules I had learned in school and needed to review them. Since I started writing, I believe I punctuate my emails better than before.
Is there anything special about yourself or your writing that you would be willing to share with us?
I love animals and have featured horses and dogs in all of my stories. As a young girl, I was obsessed with horses and worked part-time jobs so I could buy my own horse at the age of 16. My dream of marrying a cowboy and living on a ranch never materialised, but these days, I am content in the suburbs with my husband, daughter, two dogs and rabbit.
Do you have a modern day author that has inspired you? If yes, what was it about their writing that was an inspiration?
I have an appreciation for Ruth Rendell's stories written under the pen name Barbara Vine. She writes stories that are unsettling in a way that makes you think about them long you have finished reading them. As a teen, my favourite writer was Agatha Christie.
What do you love most about Mr. Darcy? About Elizabeth?
Mr. Darcy, though a rich gentleman, invokes sympathy because he lost both of his parents and was left with much responsibility, including the care of his sister. He is an introvert, which I can relate to, and I believe it to be a disadvantage in life. He makes mistakes, but he selflessly saves Lydia from ruin at great expense to himself without the expectation of Elizabeth ever learning of it. That makes him swoon-worthy.
Elizabeth, though she has her faults, is blessed with the advantage of being charming, intelligent and articulate. She is the ideal heroine.
Since you mentioned the 1995 Pride and Prejudice BBC series, what is your favourite Jane Austen adaptation?
The 1995 Pride & Prejudice BBC Series is number one for me. I also love the 1995 version of Persuasion, made for British TV, starring Ciarian Hinds and Amanda Root.
How much research did you do while writing Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley? Can you give us an example?
Actually, compared to some of my other stories, I did much less research for this story. My novel takes place in the space of a week and no time is spent outside of Pemberley or Lambton, so I did not have to research any specific places as I have done for other novels. However, having made the decision to try to limit myself to words from the time period of my story, there was much checking and cross-checking involved in doing that. It was challenging to not use certain words, such as "mesmerise" for example, which was not in use until 1819.
Any plans to write a contemporary novel based on Jane Austen's works?
I have no plan as of now. For me, a large part of the draw for Jane Austen's stories is the Regency England setting, so a contemporary version has not yet appealed to me as a writer, but I never say never.
Besides Darcy and Elizabeth, who is your favourite hero and heroine from Jane Austen's books?
Captain Frederick Wentworth and Anne Elliot are my second favourite hero and heroine. I recently completed a Regency Persuasion variation called A Divergent Persuasion.
What is next for you? Do you have an idea on what you will be working on?
I have begun to work on a Pride & Prejudice continuation that centres upon Elizabeth's introduction to society in London. The happy couple will deal with an anonymous enemy who seems bent upon destroying their marriage. In addition, I have another Pride & Prejudice variation due out early next year from Meryton Press entitled, Mr. Darcy's Perfect Match. Watch for it at Meryton Press's website under the section, "In the Works".
Book Blurb
What will the master of Pemberley do when confronted with the mercurial whims of an all-powerful angel?Fitzwilliam Darcy's well-ordered life is about to become a chaotic nightmare. A man of fortune, property and social prominence, he has everything he could desire. Blissfully married to his wife, Elizabeth, they have a two-year-old son. With so much to live for, Darcy is shaken by a near-fatal riding accident. After a miraculous escape, he is visited by an otherworldly being: an angel of death named Graham. Threatening dire consequences, Graham compels Darcy to guide him on a sojourn in the world of mortals.
Darcy immediately questions the angel's motives when he demands to be a guest at Pemberley. Can he trust Graham's assurance that no harm will come to his wife and child? And why does Graham insist on spending time with Elizabeth? How can Darcy possibly protect his family from an angel with power over life and death?
In this romantic fantasy, the beloved couple from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice must contend with both human and unearthly challenges. Are the fates against them? Or will their extraordinary love conquer all?
Author Bio
Kelly Miller discovered her appreciation for Jane Austen late in life, and her love of writing even later. It was the 1995 miniseries of Pride and Prejudice that made her take notice and want to read the actual book. It was many years later that she discovered the world of JAFF. After reading a slew of wildly inventive stories featuring the beloved characters created by Jane Austen, she was inspired to write one of her own. Now, writing is one of her favourite pastimes. When not writing, she spends her free time singing, playing the piano and working out. (Yes, like Elizabeth Bennet, she is an excellent walker.) Kelly Miller lives in Silicon Valley with her husband, daughter and their many pets.
Author Link
Facebook
Giveaway
Thank you for providing some great answers to these questions, Kelly. All the very best with this release and any future publications. Many thanks also goes to the wonderful Janet Taylor who has kindly arrange this interview with Kelly.Friends, what do you think of Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley? Would you like to read it? Then do enter the contest as her publisher is sponsoring eight e-books of the novel. Hurry because there are only a few days left. Remember to fill up the Rafflecopter form below.




I like Persuasion variations. Will A Divergent Persuasion be published soon?
ReplyDeleteHi Vesper, I shall not say it will be soon, since I am scheduled to edit and publish "Mr. Darcy's Perfect Match" first. You can read an unedited version of "A Divergent Persuasion at A Happy Assembly (Meryton.com). If you do read it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thank you!
DeleteThank you, Sylvia, for hosting me today! You came up with pertinent interview questions that made me think. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's my pleasure to have you as a guest, Kelly. I hope you will published A Divergent Persuasion because next to P&P, my favourite novel is Persuasion. And I adore Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth.
DeleteYou are very sweet! I am glad to see such enthusiasm for Persuasion, since its popularity seems so far beneath P&P in general. See my reply to Vesper above. :)
DeleteAs a walker and an animal lover, the Elizabeth Bennet in Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley has taken some of your favourite pastimes. I think it's easy for authors to relate to her if they do this. Thanks for an interesting interview, Kelly and Lúthien!
ReplyDeleteHi Suzan, thank you for your comment! I hope every reader will find something to either relate or admire in Elizabeth. In my case, I admire her ability to be articulate in social situations. Outside of a computer, I am often at a loss for words. :)
DeleteEnjoyed the interview. I am so happy you mentioned releasing a Persuasion story, I will need to check it out as I love Captain Wentworth and Anne. Congrats on your book's release!
ReplyDeleteHi Darcybennett, thank you! I am loving this interest in Persuasion! My story starts out like a retelling of the original in Captain Wentworth's POV. Then a major plot change occurs to alter things thereafter, and Anne's POV is given too.
DeleteInteresting interview! Captain Wentworth is actually my favorite Jane Austen character. Will you be publishing your Persuasion story?
ReplyDeleteI hope so. Meanwhile you might check out the unedited version of "A Divergent Persuasion" at A Happy Assembly. Thank you for your comment!
DeleteLive the interview. Congrats on your debut novel. Looking forward to reading it.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Dung. I do hope you enjoy it! :)
DeleteA delightful interview. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of this lovely tale.
ReplyDeleteHi Viginia, I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
DeleteI enjoyed learning more about you. I love to walk and worked to ride when I was in my teens. My dream of owning a ranch or at least a horse was put aside when I married. Looking forward to reading this story. Persuasion is my seconds favorite as well.
ReplyDeleteHello Debbie, it's great to hear we have so much in common! Thank you so much for visiting! I appreciate your comment. :)
DeleteMy earlier comment did not show up so I will try again. I loved the interview, ladies. It was great getting to know you better, Kelly. Thank you for sharing more about yourself. Thank you, Sylvia, for hosting!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Janet! I appreciate your efforts to make my blog tour a success!
Delete