Skip to main content

Much Ado in Meryton Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt + Giveaway

It is with great pleasure to welcome you to the penultimate stop of Much Ado in Meryton virtual tour. As you already may know, Riana Everly has published this Pride and Prejudice clever mash-up with Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing last November. But since it was a busy time last month with Christmas, Hanukkah and the bustling holiday season, she only have the chance to promote it now. Let's read her specially prepared guest post along with an enticing excerpt that drives home the point. Then be sure to participate in the giveaway below.
Guest Post
Happy New Year to everyone, and thanks for this opportunity to visit this lovely blog as part of my blog tour for Much Ado in Meryton. In this story, Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy do not get off to a good start at all, and find themselves quite antagonistic towards each other, until their friends step in with a clever plan. But instead of me going on for a while, I thought I would let Mr. Darcy speak for himself and explain what started it all.

Mr. Darcy, I'll turn it over to you now.


Mr. Darcy Speaks
Thank you, Miss Everly, for this opportunity. I find I am all too often misunderstood, and yes, it is true, that despite my superior upbringing and education, I am somewhat lacking in the ability to comprehend fully the conversations around me. I am thankful for the chance to explain to your readers why I behaved as I did, in the hopes that they might forgive me for any lapses in my otherwise impeccable manners.

I am, as you might know, the grandson of an earl and the heir to a large and prosperous estate in Derbyshire. There are few in my circles who do not know the name Darcy and give it the respect and deference it deserves. I was raised in the first circles of English society and received the finest education. I have been accused of excessive pride, but pride is not vanity, and where there is real superiority of mind, pride is always under good regulation.

I arrived in Hertfordshire to assist my friend Bingley in setting up and managing the estate he had let. I was loath to accept his request at first, having passed a most unpleasant summer caring for my younger sister, but I am not entirely heard-hearted, and his pleas were sincere. He, at least, knows my worth and values my experience.

The town, Meryton, is a middling sort of market town with enough to keep Netherfield well supplied with provisions and servants, but the people! The local knight is a crude sort of man, given to airs and pomposity, presuming to introduce me to St. James! Me, the scion of Pemberley, who dined with the Prince before my four-and-twentieth birthday. The rest of his society are little better. The local gentleman's wife is from the middle class, and there is not a title to be seen.

Bingley convinced me to accompany him to the town's assembly the very day of my arrival, the acceptance of which was a great mistake. I, who am accustomed to dancing at Carleton House, now thrust into something little better than a country dance, where anybody with the means to procure a ticket could attend with no discernment as to rank or breeding. The manners on display were questionable, and the clothing, while suitable for the country, I suppose, were at least six months behind in fashion.

Can you but wonder that, when faced with the prospect of dancing with a young lady who had the temerity to express scorn at my worth, I refused the suggestion. She heard the talk of my wealth and background and sneered at me. And then, she was the one to throw the first insult, declaring that I was no gentleman. Impudent. Insolent!


I put it to you: Would you have done otherwise? I can only think not!


Excerpt
The next half hour seemed interminable. Every face looked the same, every coat and gown interchangeable. There was too little of fashion and taste, and too much of vulgarity. The ladies' gowns were dated enough that even he knew they were last year's styles, and not a single gentleman, other than Sir William himself, wore the latest cut of waistcoat and collar points. Furthermore, everybody talked too freely, too loudly, like farmers at a harvest festival. These — these — were the haute ton of local society? What had Bingley got himself into?

"...my daughter, Charlotte."

Darcy blinked and brought himself back to the present. Sir William was still speaking, introducing the new arrivals in the neighbourhood to everybody in the space. Darcy turned to take in the woman now before them. She looked sensible enough, and about his own age of twenty-seven, but she had no particular charm or beauty. Was she married? No, it seemed not. Bingley greeted her, saying, "A pleasure to see you again, Miss Lucas." To be unmarried still at her age did not bode well for her future felicity in life. He must take care to find a good husband for his sister Georgiana to save her from this same fate; although his sister, at least, had the sort of fortune that made spinsterhood a choice rather than a sad fate.

But he had no time to worry about ageing spinsters. Sir William and Bingley were weaving their way through the throng once more and Darcy must follow them. Sir William was still talking. "You have, I believe, previously met Mr. Bennet of Longbourn, Mr. Bingley. He is not here this evening, but do not fear! Pray, allow me to introduce to you his lovely daughters. This way, I see them together by the fern."

He traipsed behind Bingley and Sir William as they waded through the crowd, which parted before them like the waters of the Red Sea before Moses. Everywhere he glanced, he met an ocean of fascinated eyes. The whispers were quieter, but they had not stopped. One ruddy country face after another looked upon him with variations of awe, reverence, and other intimations of being in the presence of a superior creature. He held his head high, not deigning to meet any one person's eye, certainly not daring to smile. He was not one to crow about his place in the first circles in London, nor to bask in the glow of his noble relations, but neither would he lower himself to befriend these rustic imitators of society. For Bingley's sake he would be coolly polite, and even civil should he find himself in suitable company, but these people were not of his class, and they must know it.


Book Blurb
A tale of friends, enemies, and the power of love.

"Thou and I are too wise to woo peaceably." — Benedick, Much Ado About Nothing, 5.2

Mr. Darcy's arrival in Meryton raises many people's disdain, and Elizabeth Bennet's ire. An insult at a dance is returned in full measure, and soon the two find themselves in a merry war of words, trading barbs at every encounter. Matters go from bad to worse when Elizabeth and Darcy find themselves living under the same roof for a time, and their constant bickering frays everybody's nerves.

Will a clever scheme by their family and friends bring some peace to Netherfield's halls? And what of Mr. Wickham, whose charming presence is not quite so welcome by some members of the party? When the games get out of hand and nastier elements come into play, will everybody's chances for happiness be ruined forever?

This clever mash-up of Pride and Prejudice and Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing casts our beloved characters in fresh light, uniting Jane Austen's keen insight into love and character, and Shakespeare's biting wit.


Book Links
Amazon  |  Kindle


Author Bio
Riana Everly was born in South Africa, but has called Canada home since she was eight years old. She has a Master's degree in Medieval Studies and is trained as a classical musician, specialising in Baroque and early Classical music. She first encountered Jane Austen when her father handed her a copy of Emma at age 11, and has never looked back.

Riana now lives in Toronto with her family. When she is not writing, she can often be found playing string quartets with friends, biking around the beautiful province of Ontario with her husband, trying to improve her photography, thinking about what to make for dinner, and, of course, reading!

Riana's novels have received several awards and citations as favourite reads of the year, including two Jane Austen Awards and a Discovering Diamonds review.


Author Links
Website  |  Blog  |  Facebook  |  Facebook  |  Twitter


Giveaway
My sincerest gratitude for your kind invitation to be part of your celebratory online tour, Riana. It is refreshing and fun to hear directly from the master of Pemberley himself as many people misunderstand his character. Darcy is just more refined, polished and used to socialising in the finest London circles compared to the Meryton folks. Don't you agree?

Thanks to the author's generosity, five e-books of Much Ado in Meryton are offered in this worldwide competition. You can either fill up the following Rafflecopter form or email your name and preferred email address to riana.everly@gmail.com to be in. She will manually add you to the list for the draw.

Comments

  1. Thank you hosting me today! I'm looking forward to seeing what everything thinks about Mr. Darcy in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure, Riana. I wish you all the best in the tour.

      Delete
  2. Thank for the excerpt. Already thinking of Lizzy 's scrutiny of Mr. Darcy. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

Alias Thomas Bennet Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

Today I have a special treat for you, dear readers. As you know, debut novelist Suzan Lauder is going on a blog tour to promote her new book titled Alias Thomas Bennet and I'm delighted that she has agreed to drop by and provide an excerpt from her novel. Over to you, Suzan. I'm honoured to have the opportunity to guest blog here today, since this is an impressive and comprehensive blog. I think it may become my go-to-first blog, since it chronicles what's going on everywhere else in the Austen-related internet world, so you know where to look next! Today, I'm going to provide an excerpt from my book, Alias Thomas Bennet . As the title implies, this book has a new Mr. Bennet. The story explores what would happen in Pride and Prejudice if Mr. Bennet were changed from his character in canon, removing key flaws that influence his family and the events in Pride and Prejudice . This is one of those "butterfly flaps its wings" scenarios, where a small chan...

The Darcy Legacy Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt + Giveaway

The weekend is upon us and what better way to relax and enjoy Joana Starnes's newest release. If you have not read The Darcy Legacy yet, you are in for a treat as Joana has embarked on a virtual tour to introduce this Pride and Prejudice variation. This is her maiden visit to My Love for Jane Austen so let's give a warm welcome to her. Don't miss the chance to win one of the many prizes sponsored by the author. Guest Post Thanks, Lúthien84, for having me as your guest today, on the blog tour for my newest book, The Darcy Legacy . I have often wondered how Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's courtship would have evolved, were it not for that ill-judged and so ungentlemanlike ' She is tolerable, I suppose... ' This is an angle I explored in The Darcy Legacy . What if their acquaintance did not start on the wrong foot? What if Mr Darcy did not hurt Elizabeth's feelings and her pride at the Meryton assembly — and if he did blunder, it was in a way that she co...

The Muse Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

Every once in a while, there are new authors ready to break out into the publishing scene. Today I have the privilege to introduce to you one such writer to the world of Austenesque genre with The Muse which is slated for release some time this month by Meryton Press. Jessica Evans is here to delight us with a guest post on the origin and inspiration for penning her debut novel. Guest Post        Mr. Darcy in tights?!? While this image may have some reaching for their smelling salts, for others, it may be hard to envision their favourite literary heartthrob sporting a dance belt and leotard. Whatever your persuasion, brace yourself because I've set The Muse , my modernised version of Pride and Prejudice , in a professional ballet company. In this story, Jane and Lizzy are dancers in the corps de ballet , or chorus, of Ballet Theater of New York, Charles Bingley is the company Assistant Artistic Director, and Mr. Darcy is a former dancer turned chor...

The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt and Giveaway

A weekend double for loyal readers of the blog! Besides having J. Marie Croft visiting with a guest post for Sun-Kissed: effusions of summer , author Regina Jeffers has stopped by today to tell you about her latest Pride and Prejudice mystery, The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin . Be sure to read her research into post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and an excerpt from the novel. On top of that there is also a giveaway to go along with the post. I'll hand it over to Regina now. Guest Post In my latest release, The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery , Darcy's cousin Major General Fitzwilliam (the former Colonel Fitzwilliam from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice ) suffers from what we would now call "PTSD". During the Regency there was no such distinction. The most one might consider as a diagnosis for the effects of many years in war was "melancholia". Yet, melancholia was also the diagnosis for the most s...

Suddenly Mrs. Darcy Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

There is a goodie specially for you today, dear readers. Debut author Jenetta James is sharing an excerpt from her yet-to-be published Pride and Prejudice what-if novel, Suddenly Mrs. Darcy . Look out for the giveaways details at the bottom if you want to learn how you can win an e-book of her novel. Without further ado, read on! Excerpt        Later, darkness filled the sky like spilled ink, the air grew chilly, and 'twas time to leave. I drew my cloak about me and felt my slipper slide slightly on the icy surface of the iron step as I entered our carriage. I saw my breath on the air in the tiny light from the lamps outside. Otherwise, it was all darkness, and I felt along the frozen leather seat with my gloved hand before sitting on it. Mr Darcy immediately began bundling my legs with a further blanket and then sat beside me, his arm wrapped about me.        "I am sorry about this cold, Elizabeth. We should have de...