Skip to main content

Epic Fail: Book Review

Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★

After enjoying Prom & Prejudice, a contemporary young adult novel based on the Jane Austen's classic work, Pride and Prejudice, I am ready to dive into this type of book. Thus I have selected Epic Fail as my next read as I came to know the novel through a review on Austenprose.

The Benton clan made up of four school-going girls has recently moved from the East Coast to the glittering city of Los Angeles after their parents accepted a job there. Coral Tree Prep, an exclusive high school popular with wealthy kids, is where the three eldest sisters will be studying. On the first day at their new school, Elise (Elizabeth) and Julianna (Jane) encounter a different kind of world from their upbringing where students here dress to kill and drive fancy cars. Being from Amherst, a small town in Massachusetts, Elise certainly feels out of place.

However elder sister Juliana has no such problems as she befriends Chase Baldwin (Bingley) who really likes her. Together both sisters are introduced to Chase's best friend, Derek Edwards (Darcy), the son of Hollywood celebrities. Unlike the friendly and easy going Chase, Derek is quiet and does not interact much with other people although others love to hang out with him because of who his parents are. Not so for Elise who dislikes his attitude as she thinks Derek feels superior to the rest of his company. Before long, Elise gets to know Webster Grant (Wickham) and prefers his friendship but has to endure Derek's presence at lunch for her sister's sake. But there is definitely tension between these two guys that Elise can't quite fathom. Why did Derek intentionally hurt Webster when the latter was greeting him and why did the arrogant Derek gang up with other guys to throw him out of the party?

Friends are not the only trouble Elise and Juliana have to face. Dr Gardiner, their mother and the principal of Coral Tree Prep, often embarrass them in front of their friends especially towards Derek with her starstruck behaviour which really made their group uncomfortable. Then their fourteen-year-old younger sister Layla (Lydia) could be mixing with the wrong crowd in school. Back at home, Layla's occasional outbursts with her three sisters constantly drives Elise crazy and the only consolation for Elise is talking with Juliana and spending time solving crossword puzzles with her father. There are also strict house rules to contend with such as no texting or make calls using handphones at home. How will Elise survive in a different environment surrounded with new friends?

Epic Fail is a fun read which bring back fond memories of growing up. Anyone who have experience high school can certainly relate to the characters that populate this novel. I can understand Elise's awkwardness in a new situation as I am most like her in terms of looks, fashion sense and thinking. Derek can be hard to know because he seldom open up his mind just like his original counterpart Darcy. Like Elise, I totally get it when she finally came to the right conclusion about why he behaves the way he does. And who does not have parents who have one time or another embarrass you in front of your peers?

In my opinion, author Claire LaZebnik has done a great job transporting the characters and important plots to twenty-first century high school setting. Even the Lydia storyline receive a good makeover where her problems now involve what current teenagers have to deal with such as peer pressure, drugs and sex. Juliana is just like the Jane from Pride and Prejudice — sweet, kind and always believe the best in people. Chelsea (Caroline) is as bitchy as ever when she does not get her way and her brother Chase is not to be trifled with when it involves a misunderstanding with Juliana. Apart from this, I would like to see more scenes of Mr Benton with his family and in school because he is barely mentioned in the book. Several characters are missing from the original but I'm not complaining.

All in all, anyone of any age group should just read Epic Fail and not necessarily confine to Austen lovers only. As for me it is a pleasant and entertaining excursion to walk down memory lane and revisit my school life.


This is my first selection in The Pride & Prejudice bicentenary challenge 2013 organised by Laurel Ann Nattress on Austenprose.

Comments

  1. I loved Prom and Prejudice! I hadn't heard of this one, sounds good! It will be going on my TBR list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my wish list. I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your read this. It is an interesting young adult novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your comments. If you have not read Epic Fail, I suggest that you do. Happy reading/watching/listening if you are participating in Laurel Ann's P&P challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Austen's First Love Blog Tour: Guest Post + Giveaway

The Christmas season is upon us soon and what better way to celebrate than with a holiday blog tour with Syrie James's Jane Austen's First Love . I'm delighted that Syrie treated us to a wonderful piece in addition to sponsoring five Jane Austen gift packages on her holiday blog tour . The details on how you can win are at the bottom of the post. Let's give her a rousing welcome and read her unique guest post. A Visit With Jane Austen An unexpected conversation transcribed by Syrie James Lúthien84: I'm excited to announce that I have a very special guest here today: Jane Austen herself! I know, it's incredible — but I was just thinking how much I'd love to have a private chat with Jane Austen, when she suddenly appeared on my living room sofa before me! (to Jane) It is such an honour and a pleasure to have you here today, Miss Jane. Jane: Thank you, Miss Lúthien84. I am truly delighted to be here. (sips her tea and smiles) Somehow I feel th...

Rational Creatures Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt and Giveaway

Following the official launch of Rational Creatures yesterday, we are joined by prominent Austenesque and newest member of Jane Austen Variations , the one and only Joana Starnes. As you know, Joana has been a regular visitor to My Love for Jane Austen with four visits and counting including today's guest post. Check out her short introduction and a brilliant excerpt from her story called Charlotte's Comforts . Then be sure to comment in order to participate in the awesome giveaway below. Welcome back, Joana! Guest Post        Rational Creatures — what a great theme for Christina Boyd's latest anthology! The Austen heroine I chose to write about was Charlotte Collins née Lucas, and at a first glance we might wonder, is Charlotte a truly rational creature, or just a coldly practical one? Is marrying a pompous and selfish fool like Mr Collins a rational choice?        Perhaps not — but what other choices did Charlotte ...

Emma and the City: Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaway

After the back-to-back author visits last week, we are joined today by Amy Hilliges who is rather new to the Austenesque world. Her Emma contemporary update is a mix between Jane Austen's misguided heroine and Sex and the City , the popular comedy-drama television series to create Emma and the City . Please welcome Amy who shares with us her motivation to pen the novel. Don't forget to check out the fabulous giveaway at the bottom of the post too! Guest Post Happy Birthday, Lúthien84! Thanks so much for inviting me to guest post on your blog. It's a pleasure to be here. I think I may be unique among many of the authors you feature here in that it wasn't Jane Austen that drew me to writing Emma and the City , it was writing Emma and the City that drew me to Jane Austen. Before working on this novel, I never knew such a large community of Janeites existed or even that Jane Austen fan fiction was a thing. Of course, I'd read a few Jane Austen's novels, ...

The Secret of Pembrooke Park Blog Tour: Excerpt + Giveaway

As mentioned in the previous post , The Secret of Pembrooke Park blog tour stops by on My Love for Jane Austen today. Enjoy the excerpt from Chapter Two of Julie Klassen's eight Regency romance novel. Then check out the details of the giveaway at the bottom of the post which include the author's books and two Jane Austen-related items. Excerpt Abigail and her father rode with the somber solicitor in a well-sprung post chaise hired for the occasion. They travelled for most of the day, on turnpikes and through toll gates, stopping to change horses and postilion riders at regular intervals, or to take a hurried meal at a coaching inn. Finally, they reached western Berkshire, its rolling hills and woodlands giving way to farms and chalk downs near its border with Wiltshire. They passed through the village of Caldwell, with a fine church, cloth mill and the Black Swan, which Mr. Arbeau pointed out as the nearest inn where they might sleep until they deemed the manor house...

The Secret Betrothal Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

I'm thrilled to announce that Jan Hahn, author of three Pride and Prejudice -themed novels published by Meryton Press, is joining us on My Love for Jane Austen today. Let's give a warm welcome to Jan and read her thoughts as she shed light on Elizabeth Bennet's character and her secret engagement in her latest book, The Secret Betrothal . This alone promises to be a tantalising read if you want to get a glimpse into the heroine's mind. Guest Post I'm delighted to be your guest today, Sylvia, and to tell you of my latest novel, The Secret Betrothal . Once again, I'm taking my favourite Jane Austen characters from Pride and Prejudice down an alternate path. I've long been fascinated by the secret engagements in Austen's Emma and Sense and Sensibility . Austen scholar, Hazel Jones, says in her book, Jane Austen & Marriage , " ...clandestine arrangements were always wrong and caused misery to all concerned, although the reasons underlyin...