Skip to main content

The Pride & Prejudice bicentenary challenge 2013

After successfully hosting The Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge 2011 to great acclaim, Austenprose's Laurel Ann Nattress is again planning another Jane Austen challenge to mark the most important milestone in the life of a Janeite. Yes, I am referring to the 200th anniversary of the most celebrated Jane Austen's masterpiece — Pride & Prejudice. Indeed I remember spending many hours of enjoyment reading my first Jane Austen novel and getting acquainted with intelligent and witty Elizabeth Bennet, proud and haughty Mr Darcy, sweet Jane Bennet, the always amiable Mr Bingley, pompous Mr Collins, devilish George Wickham, etc.

Therefore The Pride & Prejudice bicentenary challenge 2013 is the perfect time to indulge in some of the great Pride & Prejudice materials it has to offer. Janeites, historical fiction enthusiasts, costume drama lovers or casual admirers can participate in this challenge by re-reading the original text, watching the movies and television adaptations or read the countless sequels, prequels, retellings, variations and spin-offs based on and inspired by Pride & Prejudice. For those who have yet to have the pleasure of reading the most popular novel written by Jane Austen, this is a golden opportunity to introduce you to her second published work.

Challenge Details and Prizes
Timeline: 1 January-31 December 2013
Participation level:
  • Neophyte: 1-4 selections
  • Disciple: 5-8 selections
  • Aficionado: 9-12 selections
Enrollment: Sign-ups are open from now until 1 July 2013. Do read the summarised steps below:
  1. Select your level of participation.
  2. Copy the graphic for The Pride & Prejudice bicentenary challenge 2013 and blog about this challenge detailing the books, novels and movies that you will either be reading or watching.
  3. Comment on this post and provide the link to your blog post in Step 2. If you do not have a blog, you can just leave a comment there.
  4. Check back every second Wednesday of each month to read Laurel Ann's review of the book, novel, mini-series and movies that she has selected for this challenge. Then comment with a link to the review on your blog. Participants who do not have a blog can just share your thoughts on the books or movies that you have completed in the comment section.

Since there are countless Pride & Prejudice materials to choose from, just head on over to Amazon and conduct a search from there. However if you would to learn about books and novels with Pride & Prejudice themes, please visit Austenesque Reviews where blog mistress Meredith Esparza has posted a comprehensive guide to Austenesque books arranged according to novels and genre.

Prizes (US only unless stated):
January: Pride and Prejudice Naxos Audiobooks in CD (US) or digital format (international)
February: A hardcover copy of Celebrating Pride and Prejudice: 200 Years of Jane Austen's Masterpiece


Leave a comment on her post to qualify for the chance to win the monthly prizes that are offered and the winners will be announced on the third Thursday of the month.

What a brilliant way to usher into the new year. I plan to enter this challenge as I love to read Austenesque fiction. A big round of applause goes to Laurel Ann for hosting this challenge on her wonderful blog and invite everyone to participate.

I think I'll commit myself to the disciple level. My initial list are as follows:
  1. Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik √
  2. Darcy Goes to War by Mary Lydon Simonsen √
  3. Celebrating Pride and Prejudice: 200 Years of Jane Austen's Darling Child by Hazel Jones and Maggie Lane √
  4. Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter √
  5. Mr Darcy's Guide to Courtship: The Secrets of Seduction from Jane Austen's Most Eligible Bachelor by Fitzwilliam Darcy √
  6. An Arranged Marriage by Jan Hahn

You may have noticed that I have started some of the titles but have not the time and inclination to complete them. This might just be the incentive to push me to complete and post my reviews. So wish me luck!

Comments

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Austen's First Love Blog Tour: Guest Post + Giveaway

The Christmas season is upon us soon and what better way to celebrate than with a holiday blog tour with Syrie James's Jane Austen's First Love . I'm delighted that Syrie treated us to a wonderful piece in addition to sponsoring five Jane Austen gift packages on her holiday blog tour . The details on how you can win are at the bottom of the post. Let's give her a rousing welcome and read her unique guest post. A Visit With Jane Austen An unexpected conversation transcribed by Syrie James Lúthien84: I'm excited to announce that I have a very special guest here today: Jane Austen herself! I know, it's incredible — but I was just thinking how much I'd love to have a private chat with Jane Austen, when she suddenly appeared on my living room sofa before me! (to Jane) It is such an honour and a pleasure to have you here today, Miss Jane. Jane: Thank you, Miss Lúthien84. I am truly delighted to be here. (sips her tea and smiles) Somehow I feel th...

Rational Creatures Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt and Giveaway

Following the official launch of Rational Creatures yesterday, we are joined by prominent Austenesque and newest member of Jane Austen Variations , the one and only Joana Starnes. As you know, Joana has been a regular visitor to My Love for Jane Austen with four visits and counting including today's guest post. Check out her short introduction and a brilliant excerpt from her story called Charlotte's Comforts . Then be sure to comment in order to participate in the awesome giveaway below. Welcome back, Joana! Guest Post        Rational Creatures — what a great theme for Christina Boyd's latest anthology! The Austen heroine I chose to write about was Charlotte Collins née Lucas, and at a first glance we might wonder, is Charlotte a truly rational creature, or just a coldly practical one? Is marrying a pompous and selfish fool like Mr Collins a rational choice?        Perhaps not — but what other choices did Charlotte ...

Emma and the City: Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaway

After the back-to-back author visits last week, we are joined today by Amy Hilliges who is rather new to the Austenesque world. Her Emma contemporary update is a mix between Jane Austen's misguided heroine and Sex and the City , the popular comedy-drama television series to create Emma and the City . Please welcome Amy who shares with us her motivation to pen the novel. Don't forget to check out the fabulous giveaway at the bottom of the post too! Guest Post Happy Birthday, Lúthien84! Thanks so much for inviting me to guest post on your blog. It's a pleasure to be here. I think I may be unique among many of the authors you feature here in that it wasn't Jane Austen that drew me to writing Emma and the City , it was writing Emma and the City that drew me to Jane Austen. Before working on this novel, I never knew such a large community of Janeites existed or even that Jane Austen fan fiction was a thing. Of course, I'd read a few Jane Austen's novels, ...

The Secret Betrothal Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

I'm thrilled to announce that Jan Hahn, author of three Pride and Prejudice -themed novels published by Meryton Press, is joining us on My Love for Jane Austen today. Let's give a warm welcome to Jan and read her thoughts as she shed light on Elizabeth Bennet's character and her secret engagement in her latest book, The Secret Betrothal . This alone promises to be a tantalising read if you want to get a glimpse into the heroine's mind. Guest Post I'm delighted to be your guest today, Sylvia, and to tell you of my latest novel, The Secret Betrothal . Once again, I'm taking my favourite Jane Austen characters from Pride and Prejudice down an alternate path. I've long been fascinated by the secret engagements in Austen's Emma and Sense and Sensibility . Austen scholar, Hazel Jones, says in her book, Jane Austen & Marriage , " ...clandestine arrangements were always wrong and caused misery to all concerned, although the reasons underlyin...

His Choice of a Wife Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt + Giveaway

Happy weekend, Janeites! How are you spending your free time? Is it to catch up on reading Austenesque titles that you may have missed? There is one that has just been published by debut author Heather Moll. It is a Pride and Prejudice variation called His Choice of a Wife . If you haven't heard of it since it's still new, you are fortunate as the blog tour has recently commenced. Please read the enticing excerpt below and take the chance to enter the giveaway too. Over to you, Heather! Guest Post        Thank you for welcoming me to your blog! In His Choice of a Wife , Darcy and Elizabeth had several meetings in London since the day after his ill-fated proposal, and both men called in Gracechurch street to visit with the Bennet sisters before they returned to Longbourn. Today I'm sharing an excerpt with your readers after Darcy's confesses his interference to Bingley while they're on their way to re-open Netherfield. Excerpt    ...