Skip to main content

Darcy Goes to War: Book Review

Rating: ★★★★½/★★★★★

After having read Mary Lydon Simonsen's historical tale inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in Searching for Pemberley, I am in awe of her story-telling skills. Her knowledge of past events such as the post World War II times are extensive that I long to read other novels written by her. My wish is granted when I pick up her latest work titled Darcy Goes to War.

In this invective re-imagining of Pride and Prejudice, the main characters are transported right in the middle of World War II era where England is at war with Germany. As a result there is a shortage of men in the workforce as able-bodied men are required to enlisted to fight the war. Thus we find Elizabeth Bennet as a lorry driver delivering farm produce to a pub on the outskirts of Meryton before heading back home to Longbourn. In the same pub, she met Flight Lieutenant William Darcy of the Royal Air Force (RAF) who indirectly slighted her by remarking that there is little beauty in local girls and their clumsy attempts at dancing. Unlike her character in the original novel, she did not give it a moment's thought and proceeded to talk to Stan Corker, the owner of the pub about the on-going war and local gossip. When Lizzy was about to leave, Lieutenant Darcy was staring right at her in a manner that unsettles our heroine.

Back at home, we learn that Mr Bennet is a local magistrate and eldest sister Jane is his secretary. Middle sister Mary is in Malta defending the island from German invasion. Kitty is working in a uniform factory and youngest sister Lydia will soon joined her as she is eighteen and conscripted to help in the war effort. Mrs Bennet is still the same mother who worries about her daughters' prospect at marriage albeit in a subtler manner and dots on youngest daughter. Jane tells Lizzy about her encounter with their neighbour Charles Bingley, the owner of Netherfield Park. She invites Lizzy to accompany her for tea with Flight Lieutenant Bingley at his the mansion and this is where Darcy is formally introduced. He apologises to Lizzy for his rude comments and tells her the reason for his poor behaviour in the pub. All is forgotten and both enjoyed spending time in each other's company. Darcy is clearly attracted to Lizzy but will she give him a chance to court her since she is skeptical to enter a relationship with a man knowing that he might be killed in the fight against Nazi Germany?

As a history buff myself, it is fascinating to read about people who lived in a different era than now. I believe Ms Simonsen has written a true account of people who suffered hardships during the war yet band together to fight for their country. I really love reading the historical facts that she has meticulously incorporated into this novel. At times it reminded me of some places that I have read before in Searching for Pemberley which makes me want to revisit the earlier novel. The plot is simple with a twist added in to keep me in suspense for a while but I know all will end well for the characters involved.

Much as I take pleasure in getting to know the Bennets, Darcy and his family, there is one thing that keeps bugging me. I am referring to the usage of the word 'because' to begin a sentence. This is a minor quibble but I could not overlook it at the time of reading Darcy Goes to War as it is drilled in me by my English teacher not to do it. I think it is correct in the instances it was used in spoken dialogue but I could be wrong. Nevertheless it did not deter my enjoyment of the novel.

Overall, I have never been disappointed by any novel written by Ms Simonsen. I hope she continues to spin interesting stories that takes us back to a different time and include more nuggets of information that I can gleaned from. Fans of Jane Austen who love World War II period should add this book to your wish list if they have not done so.


This is my second completed task for The Pride & Prejudice bicentenary challenge 2013 organised by Laurel Ann Nattress on Austenprose.


Disclosure: Book provided by the publisher for my honest review. In no way I am compensated.

Comments

  1. I have this one on my wish list and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Congrats on one more book for your challenge goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia. So glad you enjoyed Darcy Goes to War, and thank you for your review. I am not sure where your teacher learned that you cannot start a sentence with "because." The only time it should not be used is if the sentence is incomplete and results in a fragment. I had to do a Google search on this because I had never heard that you couldn't use it. I believe very strongly in cause and effect. Often, the best way to accomplish this is with a strong introductory phrase. Thanks again for your review. http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/questions-and-quandaries/grammar/can-you-start-a-sentence-with-because

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary. Glad you like it. After checking out some websites on Google, most of them said it is alright. One commenter on this website said that it is a generally accepted practice though not for the best. I think my teacher discourage her students from using it.

      Delete
  3. Great novel - I really enjoyed the Bennet family in this novel. Everyone worked together during wartime. No time for silliness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it last month and really, really enjoyed the was the author transferred the characters to a more modern time without cheapening their integrity. I admire how she integrated details of WWII into the story. It combined two of my (many) favorite historical periods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm adding it to my goodreads. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Betrothal Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

I'm thrilled to announce that Jan Hahn, author of three Pride and Prejudice -themed novels published by Meryton Press, is joining us on My Love for Jane Austen today. Let's give a warm welcome to Jan and read her thoughts as she shed light on Elizabeth Bennet's character and her secret engagement in her latest book, The Secret Betrothal . This alone promises to be a tantalising read if you want to get a glimpse into the heroine's mind. Guest Post I'm delighted to be your guest today, Sylvia, and to tell you of my latest novel, The Secret Betrothal . Once again, I'm taking my favourite Jane Austen characters from Pride and Prejudice down an alternate path. I've long been fascinated by the secret engagements in Austen's Emma and Sense and Sensibility . Austen scholar, Hazel Jones, says in her book, Jane Austen & Marriage , " ...clandestine arrangements were always wrong and caused misery to all concerned, although the reasons underlyin...

The Meyersons of Meryton: Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaways

Happy weekend, friends! How has your week been? I hope you will have enough rest and relaxation before you begin the next week. It is with sheer delight that My Love for Jane Austen welcomes fairly newcomer Mirta Ines Trupp to join us today. You may have heard that her recent release titled The Meyersons of Meryton is a different spin on Pride and Prejudice with a Jewish twist. I'll let her tell you more about the book and share some fascinating insights regarding herself. There is also an excerpt and a fabulous giveaway of five e-books to go along with it. Guest Post Thank you, Lúthien84, for your warm welcome. I am delighted to spend some time with you and my fellow Janeites. Unlike our beloved Miss Jane, I was not born in a scenic village in rural England. My family were neither descendant of landed gentry, nor were they Anglican. I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and am the granddaughter of Russian Jews who escaped the pogroms, poverty and famine prior to the onse...

Fair Stands the Wind Blog Tour: Vignette + Giveaway

Welcome to the tenth pit stop of Catherine Lodge's two-week blog tour of her debut novel, Fair Stands the Wind . If you are not aware, the paperback edition is available to purchase but not the Kindle version due to a copyright dispute on Amazon. Meryton Press and Catherine is presently trying their best to solve this problem. In the meantime let's read a vignette below and have a guess as to who she is referring too. And don't forget to participate in the giveaway at the bottom of the post. Vignette I first met Captain Darcy when he came aboard the Lincoln in the year 2. He must have been about 15 or 16 then. He came as a master's mate — been at sea long enough by then to be a right useful lad too. I was third mate for my sins. The captain was killing himself with drink and first was about as much use as fart in a windstorm; the ship was falling apart and we were almost forty below complement. We put in for a new Master, since ours was older than God and coul...

Obstacles Blog Tour: Character Interview + Giveaway

After Lizzy Brandon's visit just yesterday, author Belén Paccagnella has graced us with her presence here today. Her debut novel, Obstacles is a unique contemporary take on Pride and Prejudice set in the competitive equestrian world of show-jumping. It is my pleasure to present to you the one and only character interview on this blog tour. Now read the following lively interview with Mary Bennet. Character Interview TV host: As you all know, this segment is dedicated to discussions about current releases in film and print. Today, we are proud to have Miss Mary Bennet with us, the author of the unbelievably successful Spaceshafts , an erotic sci-fi novel that has become an instant bestseller. If you are a fan of intergalactic battles between hunky men and athletic Amazons, then this is the book for you. The host shows the cover and the crowd cheers and claps. Just a warning: it's for adults so keep this one on the top shelf away from the kids. Now, please welcome Mary...

Ross Poldark Blog Tour: Excerpt + Giveaway

The Ross Poldark blog tour stops by today with an excerpt from Demelza . Although it is definitely not an Austenesque novel and set in the Georgian era, my enduring love of historical fiction drive me to participate in this virtual tour. What's more, the first two Poldark books ( Ross Poldark and Demelza ) has been adapted into a television series with the first season now airing in US on Masterpiece channel. So check out the Chapter 10 excerpt below and be sure to enter the giveaway for three amazing prizes offered by the publisher for this virtual tour. The giveaway details are at the bottom. Excerpt Demelza had been expecting Ross since five. At six she prepared supper, making it lighter than usual, for she knew he came back from those ticketings satiated with food and drink and grumbling at the waste of time.        Toward seven she had her supper and thought she would walk up the valley to see if she could meet Ross. Julia was fed, her garde...