It is a delight and pleasure to have Bronwen Chisholm visiting My Love for Jane Austen today to celebrate the launch of Mrs. Collins' Lover. Although this seasoned author has previously released five earlier Pride and Prejudice stories before, this is the first time that she is participating in a blog tour. Let us warmly welcome Bronwen on this last leg of her virtual tour. There is also a generous giveaway after her guest post so stick around for the details.
In truth, my inspirations can come from anywhere. I have been known to start stories after hearing a line in a song, seeing a particularly beautiful sunset, reading a book, or even having a dream. This sets off a scene in my mind and, if I think there is enough there, it grows into a full story. Sometimes I will pull older ideas that couldn't stand alone into a new story. I honestly do not remember the first scene I wrote for Mrs. Collins' Lover, but the first note I wrote was this:
Mr. Bennet had been ill and it gave him a taste of mortality he did not like. Therefore, when Mr. Collins proposed to Elizabeth, he convinced her to accept. He indicated that, once an heir was born, he would request her presence at Longbourn more frequently so that the child could grow up in his home and learn his duties. She reluctantly and tearfully agrees (is forced to agree). "You are the rightful Mistress of Longbourn, Lizzy. You know more about and care more for this estate than your mother or sisters ever will."
I do know this was not the first time I had played with this idea as I found this note in my random ideas while I was writing this story:
Elizabeth has married Collins — is miserable. They have sex only one day per week (Tuesday? Corresponds with day man was created). She becomes with child and locks her door to him. She gives birth to a son. She tells her father that she has fulfilled her role. Mr. Bennet wants child raised at Longbourn. Elizabeth refuses to allow him to raise her child.
From here, I begin working out the direction of the book. I am not one to plot out my books, instead, I normally write several scenes and then connect them with notes between suggesting what should occur to get to the next point. I began working on this story in January 2018. Though the story was moving along, it was not until I attended the Women's Conference at my church in May that a new inspiration changed the direction of the book. I was preparing to leave for the United Kingdom for two weeks, but did not want to miss this event. Every year, there is always a song which becomes like an anthem to me as I go through the next year. In 2018, the song was Reckless Love. The chorus of this song just kept playing over and over in my mind as I began my journey.
The ninety-nine, referencing the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15, reminded me of the second half of that chapter, the prodigal son. This was my father's favourite scripture to preach from. I knew this was no longer a story of adultery and getting what you want in the end; it was about redemption.
Remember: In order to be redeemed, there must be sin. This story is intended for mature audiences. Trigger Warning: There are incidents of abuse in this story.
Her love of writing has led her to several writing groups, and she is currently serving as the vice president of the Riverside Writers and organizes the Riverside Young Writers.
For more information, visit her website.
The deadline to enter is at 11.59 pm on Sunday, 25 August 2019. If you have commented but it doesn't appear yet, please be patient and wait as comment moderation is enabled. If there is a problem with commenting, do fill up the contact form on this page. And don't post sensitive information such as your email address.
The winner's announcement will be posted several days after the giveaway ends and have 72 hours to respond by contacting me. So please check the result if you participated in the contest because there are some winners who didn't claim their gifts in the past.
Guest Post
I am so pleased to be visiting with you today! By this time, many of you are aware I released my sixth Pride and Prejudice variation, Mrs. Collins' Lover, on 10th August. On previous stops on my blog tour, I have shared excerpts, interviewed a character and discussed the premise for the book. Today I would like to talk about inspiration.In truth, my inspirations can come from anywhere. I have been known to start stories after hearing a line in a song, seeing a particularly beautiful sunset, reading a book, or even having a dream. This sets off a scene in my mind and, if I think there is enough there, it grows into a full story. Sometimes I will pull older ideas that couldn't stand alone into a new story. I honestly do not remember the first scene I wrote for Mrs. Collins' Lover, but the first note I wrote was this:
Mr. Bennet had been ill and it gave him a taste of mortality he did not like. Therefore, when Mr. Collins proposed to Elizabeth, he convinced her to accept. He indicated that, once an heir was born, he would request her presence at Longbourn more frequently so that the child could grow up in his home and learn his duties. She reluctantly and tearfully agrees (is forced to agree). "You are the rightful Mistress of Longbourn, Lizzy. You know more about and care more for this estate than your mother or sisters ever will."
I do know this was not the first time I had played with this idea as I found this note in my random ideas while I was writing this story:
Elizabeth has married Collins — is miserable. They have sex only one day per week (Tuesday? Corresponds with day man was created). She becomes with child and locks her door to him. She gives birth to a son. She tells her father that she has fulfilled her role. Mr. Bennet wants child raised at Longbourn. Elizabeth refuses to allow him to raise her child.
From here, I begin working out the direction of the book. I am not one to plot out my books, instead, I normally write several scenes and then connect them with notes between suggesting what should occur to get to the next point. I began working on this story in January 2018. Though the story was moving along, it was not until I attended the Women's Conference at my church in May that a new inspiration changed the direction of the book. I was preparing to leave for the United Kingdom for two weeks, but did not want to miss this event. Every year, there is always a song which becomes like an anthem to me as I go through the next year. In 2018, the song was Reckless Love. The chorus of this song just kept playing over and over in my mind as I began my journey.
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah
The ninety-nine, referencing the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15, reminded me of the second half of that chapter, the prodigal son. This was my father's favourite scripture to preach from. I knew this was no longer a story of adultery and getting what you want in the end; it was about redemption.
Book Blurb
Elizabeth Bennet was raised with a strong belief and faith in God's plan for her life. She knew He had a plan, even if the details were hidden from her. But, when placed in an untenable situation, she turned instead to the arms of a man to find brief moments of joy. Finally, when able to realise the happiness which was always intended for her, the weight of her guilt over her past sins convinces her of her unworthiness. Only through reconciliation with the Lover of her soul can she truly fulfill the life He planned for her. But first, she must forgive herself in order to find redemption.Remember: In order to be redeemed, there must be sin. This story is intended for mature audiences. Trigger Warning: There are incidents of abuse in this story.
Author Bio
Bronwen Chisholm began her writing career working on suspense romance, but finally became a published author with her Pride and Prejudice variations. She takes great pleasure in searching for potential "plot twists" and finding the way back to a happy ending.Her love of writing has led her to several writing groups, and she is currently serving as the vice president of the Riverside Writers and organizes the Riverside Young Writers.
For more information, visit her website.
Giveaway
Thank you for sharing your story on what inspired you to pen Mrs. Collins' Lover, Bronwen. What do you think, readers? Does this variation appeal to you? Let us know your thoughts in the comment because the author is offering an e-book of Mrs. Collins' Lover to one lucky worldwide reader. Although it is not the usual fare of Austenesque variations, we hope that you'll give it a try.The deadline to enter is at 11.59 pm on Sunday, 25 August 2019. If you have commented but it doesn't appear yet, please be patient and wait as comment moderation is enabled. If there is a problem with commenting, do fill up the contact form on this page. And don't post sensitive information such as your email address.
The winner's announcement will be posted several days after the giveaway ends and have 72 hours to respond by contacting me. So please check the result if you participated in the contest because there are some winners who didn't claim their gifts in the past.



Always interesting as a non-writer to read how authors/writers get their inspiration
ReplyDeleteIt sometimes surprises me where an idea will come from. lol Thank you for commenting.
DeleteI have thoroughly enjoyed the blog tour. The book definitely interests me as it is different from any other jaff I've read. Thanks for the chance to win a copy.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad! This was my first blog tour, but I will definitely do another in the future. Good luck!
DeleteAm dreading EB's fate on this one. Still eager to know what transpires... Just a hard hit on one's faith.
ReplyDeleteIt is an attack on her faith, but she finds her way home.
DeleteThank you for sharing the inspiration behind your stories Bronwen. I have enjoyed all your previous books and as you know I read this as it was posting. I did struggle with the idea of Elizabeth married to Collins but I persevered and am so glad I did.
ReplyDeleteI do look forward to reading this book altogether and I love the cover! Thank you.
Thank you, Glynis! I think this is my favorite cover for my books. I am so glad you pushed through the tough parts and were able to enjoy the HEA.
DeleteWonderful post. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I hope you enjoy it.
DeleteI do like that song as well. I like the idea of a redemption story. Will put on my TBR pile. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I hope you enjoy it.
DeleteI find the idea for this book interesting and I love that you followed your thought-bunny.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Too often those bunnies hop away before I can record them, but this one seemed to be determined as it returned more than once. ;)
Delete