After Lizzy Brandon's visit just yesterday, author Belén Paccagnella has graced us with her presence here today. Her debut novel, Obstacles is a unique contemporary take on Pride and Prejudice set in the competitive equestrian world of show-jumping. It is my pleasure to present to you the one and only character interview on this blog tour. Now read the following lively interview with Mary Bennet.
The live audience goes crazy when Mary Bennet walks into the studio. She waves and takes a seat next to the host.
TV host: Wow! Mary, we are so happy to have you. You have a very enthusiastic group of fans!
Mary: Hi, Marsha, it's an honour to be here. Thank you for the invitation. Again she waves at the audience, and they start yelling.
TV host: You're so young! I read you're only twenty-three. How do you feel about your success?
Mary: Oh, it's been wonderful. I never imagined... well, I knew my story was good, but I never thought it would become a best a bestseller right after the release.
TV host raises eyebrows in surprise: The plot is quite... unique, to say the least. Although it has been said that it looks as if it came out of a porn video game. The crowd boos.
Mary: They say that because they are envious of my success.
TV Host: So, Mary, tell us more about Spaceshafts. I must confess that I was quite surprised with the plot. It has everything: spaceships, hot men, independent women, sex, exploding volcanoes, strange creatures, more sex...
Mary: chuckles I like to think it's an ode to free feminine sexuality. The Amazons were a very repressed race in terms of sex, and the invasion of the men from Pyston solar system show them how much they have missed. As they fight for their liberty, they also achieve freedom in all aspects of their life and culture.
TV host: smirks They sure experimented a lot before the men arrived. Your Amazons are very creative when it comes to pleasing themselves.
Mary: They had to be resourceful. But the book is not only about sex. It has adventure, romance, magic, spirituality, action... a bit of everything.
TV host: Indeed it has. It struck me as odd that for a sci-fi story, the characters use swords, spears and arrows as weapons, but at the same time, they travel in rockets and very advanced spaceships. Isn't a bit contradictory?
Mary: I liked keeping it traditional in certain aspects. And face-to-face combat increases physical proximity and is the platform for a different form of interaction between characters.
TV host: purses lips I heard a studio is interested in acquiring the rights to your book to produce Spaceshafts, the movie. Is that true?
Mary: grins and the crowd goes nuts I'm sorry, I can't talk about that. But I can tell you that a sequel is already in the making.
TV Host: I can't wait! Thank you, Mary, for coming to our show. So, ladies and gentleman, that was Mary Bennet, telling us more about her very successful Spaceshafts!
*Place commercial here*
Though Elizabeth Bennet lives an uneventful life instructing young equestrians at Longbourn, the family farm, she dreams of winning a show-jumping competition on Liddy, her spirited mare. But her life is upended when a team of world-renowned riders arrives at Netherfield, the neighbouring estate, and uses it as their training headquarters. As she assists the newcomers and their prize-winning mounts, she meets William Darcy, a wealthy and arrogant — albeit talented — rider with Olympic aspirations. He first insults and then ignores Elizabeth, and her feelings teeter between disgust at his hauteur and admiration for his equestrian prowess. As she discovers first-hand the rigours of a world for the elite, will Elizabeth change her perspective about love, trust and the foibles of her own family?
Originally known as Obstacles to Overcome, Obstacles pays homage to Pride and Prejudice in the highly competitive world of equestrian show jumping.
In 2001, she started writing both Regency and modern stories adapted from the Pride and Prejudice storyline, merging drama, humour and adventure while creating characters with unique traits.
Belén still lives in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, where she shares her home with her daughter and her pets while spending her time working, reading and writing.
Claudine Pepe, thank you very much for inviting me to be part of this blog tour. My gratitude also goes to Belén for penning special interview with Mary Bennet. Wishing you much success in your writing journey!
Character Interview
TV host: As you all know, this segment is dedicated to discussions about current releases in film and print. Today, we are proud to have Miss Mary Bennet with us, the author of the unbelievably successful Spaceshafts, an erotic sci-fi novel that has become an instant bestseller. If you are a fan of intergalactic battles between hunky men and athletic Amazons, then this is the book for you. The host shows the cover and the crowd cheers and claps. Just a warning: it's for adults so keep this one on the top shelf away from the kids. Now, please welcome Mary Bennet!The live audience goes crazy when Mary Bennet walks into the studio. She waves and takes a seat next to the host.
TV host: Wow! Mary, we are so happy to have you. You have a very enthusiastic group of fans!
Mary: Hi, Marsha, it's an honour to be here. Thank you for the invitation. Again she waves at the audience, and they start yelling.
TV host: You're so young! I read you're only twenty-three. How do you feel about your success?
Mary: Oh, it's been wonderful. I never imagined... well, I knew my story was good, but I never thought it would become a best a bestseller right after the release.
TV host raises eyebrows in surprise: The plot is quite... unique, to say the least. Although it has been said that it looks as if it came out of a porn video game. The crowd boos.
Mary: They say that because they are envious of my success.
TV Host: So, Mary, tell us more about Spaceshafts. I must confess that I was quite surprised with the plot. It has everything: spaceships, hot men, independent women, sex, exploding volcanoes, strange creatures, more sex...
Mary: chuckles I like to think it's an ode to free feminine sexuality. The Amazons were a very repressed race in terms of sex, and the invasion of the men from Pyston solar system show them how much they have missed. As they fight for their liberty, they also achieve freedom in all aspects of their life and culture.
TV host: smirks They sure experimented a lot before the men arrived. Your Amazons are very creative when it comes to pleasing themselves.
Mary: They had to be resourceful. But the book is not only about sex. It has adventure, romance, magic, spirituality, action... a bit of everything.
TV host: Indeed it has. It struck me as odd that for a sci-fi story, the characters use swords, spears and arrows as weapons, but at the same time, they travel in rockets and very advanced spaceships. Isn't a bit contradictory?
Mary: I liked keeping it traditional in certain aspects. And face-to-face combat increases physical proximity and is the platform for a different form of interaction between characters.
TV host: purses lips I heard a studio is interested in acquiring the rights to your book to produce Spaceshafts, the movie. Is that true?
Mary: grins and the crowd goes nuts I'm sorry, I can't talk about that. But I can tell you that a sequel is already in the making.
TV Host: I can't wait! Thank you, Mary, for coming to our show. So, ladies and gentleman, that was Mary Bennet, telling us more about her very successful Spaceshafts!
*Place commercial here*
Book Blurb
Not all obstacles are restricted to the show-jumping arena...Though Elizabeth Bennet lives an uneventful life instructing young equestrians at Longbourn, the family farm, she dreams of winning a show-jumping competition on Liddy, her spirited mare. But her life is upended when a team of world-renowned riders arrives at Netherfield, the neighbouring estate, and uses it as their training headquarters. As she assists the newcomers and their prize-winning mounts, she meets William Darcy, a wealthy and arrogant — albeit talented — rider with Olympic aspirations. He first insults and then ignores Elizabeth, and her feelings teeter between disgust at his hauteur and admiration for his equestrian prowess. As she discovers first-hand the rigours of a world for the elite, will Elizabeth change her perspective about love, trust and the foibles of her own family?
Originally known as Obstacles to Overcome, Obstacles pays homage to Pride and Prejudice in the highly competitive world of equestrian show jumping.
Author Bio
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Belén Paccagnella discovered the world of Jane Austen fan fiction after watching the 1995 BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice. In her teens, she lived in Brazil when her family moved to the city of Curitiba due to her father's work. She moved back to Buenos Aires a few years later, where she studied agronomy but finally pursued a different career and started working in the development administration of shopping centres.In 2001, she started writing both Regency and modern stories adapted from the Pride and Prejudice storyline, merging drama, humour and adventure while creating characters with unique traits.
Belén still lives in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, where she shares her home with her daughter and her pets while spending her time working, reading and writing.
Author Link
Facebook
Giveaway
What do you think of the entertaining interview, dear readers? Does it excite you to pick up the book? Well if you don't already own Belén's new novel, why not join in this international giveaway? Her publisher, Meryton Press has agreed to sponsor eight e-books of Obstacles for this tour. The deadline is midnight of next Sunday, 30 September 2018 so be sure to get your entries in by filling up the Rafflecopter form below.Claudine Pepe, thank you very much for inviting me to be part of this blog tour. My gratitude also goes to Belén for penning special interview with Mary Bennet. Wishing you much success in your writing journey!




Well, that was fascinating. As a sci-fi geek as well as being a Janeite, I'm intrigued to see how Mary, as a sci-fi novelist, fits into the main plot!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the interview and giveaway.
It's quite different from what I imagined Belén would write for this blog stop, Anji. Like you, I also wonder how she fits into the story as I have not yet Obstacles when it was posted online. Not a sci-fi reader myself but if it's a side story, I will buy into the idea as long as it doesn't detract from getting to know D&E.
DeleteNo D&E spoilers in that interview, but a fascinating side story to enhance the main event. Mary sounds like an interesting character who will liven this book. Thanks for sharing it, Belén, and thanks for hosting, Lúthien!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, Suzan. I like welcoming new authors to my blog.
DeleteEnjoyed getting to know a little about Mary from this story.
ReplyDeleteMe too, darcybennett.
DeleteFun interview! Thanks, ladies. I always enjoy character interviews and Mary's was delightful...
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Janet. Character interviews are the best as we get to know more about the story.
DeleteWell, Mary seems to have gotten out of her shell! A most intriguing interview. Adding this to my Must-Read list.
ReplyDeleteGood for her, JanisB. Belén did a good job updating Mary to make her more relatable.
Delete