Skip to main content

A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity Blog Tour: Vignette + Giveaway

Welcome to the fifth stop of Amy D'Orzio's blog tour for her latest novel, A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity. The author is not a stranger to the Austenesque world as her previous Pride and Prejudice variation is last year's Meryton Press release titled The Best Part of Love. Without further delay, you are invited to read a special vignette prepared by Amy.
Good day, Lúthien84. What a pleasure it is to share this vignette that I wrote for your readers at My Love for Jane Austen! I hope your readers enjoy this glimpse into what happened after Darcy's and Elizabeth's engagement. As one might imagine, Lady Catherine is not excited to hear about Darcy's and Elizabeth's engagement. A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity diverges from canon prior to her famous visit so of course, she had to have her say at the end when all had finally been settled!


Vignette
After the Engagement: Lady Catherine Calls On Elizabeth

One more day. One more day, and he will return. One more day, and I shall see him again.

No days had ever passed as slowly as the days Darcy spent in Cotgrave while she yearned for him in London. Elizabeth was determined not to be some love-sick fool, pining away for her husband-to-be, yet she was. She could not eat, she could not sleep; all she did was think of him and wish, most ardently, that he should return to her. Such were her thoughts on the day before he was due back, and thus, when she heard the knocker, her heart leapt. Surely it would be him!

A million thoughts tormented her in an instant. Was her hair tidy? Would that she was wearing another gown, the sprigged green muslin perhaps! Should she sit here or there and should she ring for tea or wait until he was shown in? All the while, her heart hammered in her chest as if it wished to spring free and go to him itself.

And then the door opened, and Lady Catherine de Bourgh was shown into the room.

For a moment, she disbelieved it, looking behind her ladyship in vain hope that somehow he would be there. But no. It was only Lady Catherine. She smiled against the disappointment that swelled up in her throat, using the time spend curtseying to gather her wits.

"How do you do, Lady Catherine?"

Lady Catherine loomed large in front of her — strange that she had not before realised how tall the lady was — her cheeks flushed and her hand gripped tightly to her walking stick. It took little discernment to comprehend that Lady Catherine knew of her engagement and had come to discuss it with her.

Elizabeth offered her visitor a seat, which her ladyship declined, and refreshments, which she ignored outright. With those duties dispensed, Elizabeth chose to sit, imagining the conversation would likely be tiresome.

Lady Catherine walked closer to stand over her, speaking in a low but menacing tone. "You cannot be at a loss to know why I have come here this morning."

I daresay you are not here to welcome me to the family. "Indeed Madam, I cannot account for the honour."

"Do not play me for a fool, Miss Bennet. As your superior, I demand your respect."

"Very well, but you must tell me why you have called on me."

"I received a letter from my nephew, the colonel. He told me you were engaged to his cousin."

Elizabeth thought about protesting that Mr Darcy should be the one to communicate such news but then decided against it. It would do no good. "Mr Darcy has made me an offer of marriage, and I have accepted it."

"An offer of marriage?" Lady Catherine threw back her head and laughed like a barmaid. "Absurd. He could not have."

"But he did."

"You are mistaken."

"If you think I am mistaken, then it will be to Mr Darcy to set things aright when he returns. Until then, I do not think we have further business with one another." Elizabeth rose, intending to see her visitor out.

"Sit down, Miss Bennet. I am not finished here."

Elizabeth forced her possession to the fore. In the face of all they had suffered, what did one enraged relation signify? No, she would be kind to his aunt — her aunt too, in short time — and allow the lady to vent her spleen. Elizabeth turned back but did not sit again.

"You are very young, Miss Bennet, and very inexperienced in the ways of men and the world. I know not what manner of foolish lust has overtaken my nephew, but I do assure you, he cannot intend to marry you."

Elizabeth smiled patiently. "I shall not tell you that you are wrong, but I will tell you that my faith rests wholly in the honour and goodwill of Mr Darcy. Time will tell which of us is correct."

"Regardless of what he has said to you, it would be silly indeed for you to accept him."

"I have accepted him and have no cause to doubt the wisdom of my decision."

"Do you not? Then permit me to enlighten you. The family will not acknowledge you. The servants will not mind you, knowing you are little more than they are. The ton will scorn you. His friends will laugh at him."

Elizabeth forced herself to laugh. "And yet, all is in accord with his own choosing. If he will deny himself such comforts as would be bestowed by the approval of acquaintances, then who am I to disagree with him? I want only him, and he wants only me. Nothing else shall be of consequence to us."

"Stupid, stupid girl! How can you be so unfeeling, so uncaring!"

Lady Catherine looked like she might have said more but Elizabeth stopped her, holding up a hand. "Indeed I do care; I care deeply about anything that brings him grief."

"Then you must —"

"No. I must not. For I had acted before, believing I knew his mind. I gave him my word that I would never do so again. Never again will I presume to know what is the lesser of two evils for him.

It is to him to put me off. I will never again go of my own accord but if he wishes me gone, so will I go. But as long as he will have me, I will be by his side, for I love him more than anything."

"Such an obstinate, headstrong thing you are." Lady Catherine shook her head and ground her walking stick into Jane's carpets. "I never —"

"And selfish too," Elizabeth added. Her words had the extraordinary effect of silencing her ladyship who gaped at her in an inelegant manner. "You must add selfish to the things you despise about me, for I intend to be quite selfish when it comes to Mr Darcy."

"You will be his ruin." Lady Catherine pointed one jewelled finger at her. "I am sorry for you, very sorry, for you consign yourself to a pitiable state should you continue to pursue this alliance."

Something inside Elizabeth broke a little then; her resolve to be kind and patient failed her. Their past of difficulty and misery yet weighed on her, and she resented, violently, this intrusion into their fledgling happiness. Hot tears sprang to her eyes, and she clenched her jaw against the concurrent swelling of rage.

"The only pitiable state I have ever suffered is the state of being without him," she said fiercely. "I shall marry him, and I shall love him without regard to the interference of you or anyone else connected to him. I am sorry to disoblige you, but you have attempted to exert your influence on someone whose resolve is implacable. I have nothing further to say on this subject."

Her tone was a shock to Lady Catherine, who stared at her in appalled disbelief.

"I will carry my point, Miss Bennet." Lady Catherine's tone was low and menacing. "This is not over, not by any means."

Her ladyship offered Elizabeth a blistering scowl then swept from the room, angrily thumping her walking stick into the carpets as she went.

Elizabeth sighed deeply for a moment, wondering how Darcy would manage his aunt's displeasure. "Well," she said to the room. "Perhaps we may laugh about it one day."


Book Blurb
Is not the very meaning of love that it surpasses every objection against it?

Jilted. Never did Mr. Darcy imagine it could happen to him.

But it has, and by Elizabeth Bennet, the woman who first hated and rejected him but then came to love him — he believed — and agree to be his wife. Alas, it is a short-lived, ill-fated romance that ends nearly as soon as it has begun. No reason is given.

More than a year since he last saw her — a year of anger, confusion and despair — he receives an invitation from the Bingleys to a house party at Netherfield. Darcy is first tempted to refuse, but with the understanding that Elizabeth will not attend, he decides to accept.

When a letter arrives, confirming Elizabeth's intention to join them, Darcy resolves to meet her with indifference. He is determined that he will not demand answers to the questions that plague him. Elizabeth is also resolved to remain silent and hold fast to the secret behind her refusal. Once they are together, however, it proves difficult to deny the intense passion that still exists. Fury, grief and profound love prove to be a combustible mixture. But will the secrets between them be their undoing?


Book Links
Amazon  |  Amazon UK  |  Kindle  |  Kindle UK


Author Bio
Amy D'Orazio is a former breast cancer researcher and current stay at home mom who is addicted to Austen and Starbucks in about equal measures. While she adores Mr. Darcy, she is married to Mr. Bingley and their Pemberley is in Pittsburgh PA.

She has two daughters who are devoted to sports which require long practices and began writing her own stories as a way to pass the time she spent sitting in the lobbies of various gyms and studios. She is a firm believer that all stories should have long looks, stolen kisses and happily ever afters. Like her favourite heroine, she dearly loves a laugh and considers herself an excellent walker.


Author Links
Facebook  |  Twitter


Giveaway
Amy's publisher is happy to sponsor eight e-books of A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity to encourage reader participation. All you need is to tweet and/or comment on each of the tour stops to increase your chances at winning. Then fill up the Rafflecopter form to register your entries. This international giveaway closes at midnight ET on 8 March 2018.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the opportunity to read this vignette!
    I like this novel book blurb and hope to win a copy, I already read The best part of love and I liked Mrs D'Orazio stile! I'm happy to hear that she is out with another book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Elizabeth to be expecting Mr. Darcy and to get Lady Catherine. I am so glad that Elizabeth didn't back down and was resolute in staying with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite the disappointment! Expecting ice cream and getting radishes LOL

      Delete
  3. that was bad of the Colonel, I hope he had a reason to tell Lady Catherine before Darcy did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... he sure thinks he does :)
      Thanks Vesper!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see where this leads! Congratulations, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to have backbone,Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Elizabeth! Lady Catherine is no match for a woman as much in love as Elizabeth so she might as well give up now!
    Thank you for sharing this excerpt Amy and I really hope Lady C gets what for from Darcy for interfering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not as much as she deserves haha!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Oh this made my day. I adore lady Catherine with her dander up scenes, and this one is especially sweet. She's all hot and bothered and Elizabeth is blissfully and wryly going about the Very Important Business of being in love. Awesome. Thanks, Luthien and Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder, is this one of the reasons why Rita at From Pemberley to Milton wanted to kill the Colonel? He really has no business blabbing about his cousin's betrothal! Oh but Elizabeth still had the upper hand in her conversation with Lady C, thank goodness. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the blog tours and the excerpts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peculiar Connection Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

Happy and blessed Easter to all my Christian readers! Today it is with immense pleasure that I welcome Austenesque author Jan Hahn to my blog. If you are not familiar with her works, you should know that she has written four Pride and Prejudice stories and all are published by Meryton Press. These include An Arranged Marriage , The Journey , The Secret Betrothal and the recently released novel titled A Peculiar Connection . Read her fascinating guest post below and participate in discussion to enter the giveaway. What's in a Title? Thank you, Lúthien84, for participating in my blog tour and for allowing me to be your guest today. Shakespeare says " A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. " But can you imagine the flower we know as the rose being called a stinkweed? Would the stinkweed be famous for its sweetness or would its very name make us shy away from taking a whiff? And what about book titles? Does the name draw you in or turn you off? Would A...

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Have you heard of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries which debuted on the web a couple of months ago? I think you should check it out as it is a relatively new concept that has not been fully explored on any Jane Austen's novels. I append part of the press release from the official website for your perusal. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is an innovative, original episodic video and social media series produced for the web. Adapting Pride and Prejudice to the modern era, Lizzie Bennet tells the classic Jane Austen tale from the point-of-view of an Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Bennet who grew up in a world of cell phones, video cameras and social media. The series was created by popular YouTube personality Hank Green and Streamy Award-winning web video writer Bernie Su. Combining web video and social media in a way never before seen for a literary adaptation, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries takes the characters of Pride and Prejudice and tells their stories across a network of different plat...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 14-20 March 2011

The Austenesque scout is pleased to inform her readers about three giveaways for this week. Meredith, blogger mistress of Austenesque Reviews is hosting a book giveaway for two new copies of The Jane Austen Handbook: Proper Life Skills from Regency England donated by the publisher, Quirk Books. This Regency etiquette book is actually a re-release of the same contents but with a different cover and was first published in 2007. If you are interested to win, just leave a comment and your email address here . You can also read her review and get more information on how to earn additional entries here . The bad news is this contest is open to US residents only and ends next Wednesday, 23 March 2011 . The second giveaway on offer is Georgette Heyer's novel, Cotillion . This contest is organised by Meredith at her blog and is open to all international readers . To enter, leave a comment here suggesting which Georgette Heyer novel she should read next . For those who have never...

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman: Book Review

Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★ After enduring a not very likeable Austenesque fiction in Karen V. Wasylowski's Darcy and Fitzwilliam which was reviewed several months ago, I was a little wary of reading any Austen-themed novels which caught my fancy because of its beautifully designed covers. After my colleague recommend me to try Maria Hamilton's debut novel, I made up my mind to read it next. It proved to be a wise choice for I spend many hours perusing this delightful Pride and Prejudice what-if story. Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman begins after Fitzwilliam Darcy's disastrous marriage proposal to Elizabeth Bennet in Hunsford Parsonage, Kent. After thinking over her reasons for refusing him, Darcy decides to take her reproves to heart and tries to correct the mistakes that he committed in his past although unintentional done. Foremost on his mind is to try and salvage his friend, Charles Bingley's relationship with Jane Bennet and act in a manner wort...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 31 October-6 November 2011

The Austenesque scout would like to inform her readers a tons of Austen-themed swags for this week. Firstly, Austen Author 's Mary Lydon Simonsen has recently self-published a novella re-imagining Jane Austen's naval hero from Persuasion titled Captain Wentworth: Home from the Sea . As a token of appreciation for Janeites who have helped her all these years of writing Austenesque genre, she is giving away two copies of this novella to readers who leave a comment on her post . In your comment, please tell her what you love about Persuasion and include your email address . This fabulous giveaway is open worldwide and closes next Tuesday, 8 November 2011 . Over at My Jane Austen Book Club , there is a video interview with P. D. James who has written Death Comes to Pemberley , a Pride & Prejudice sequel with a mystery twist. Watch the video and answer the question posted by Maria in your comment for a chance to win a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley . Remember to...