Apart from Pride and Prejudice-themed stories, there are many other Austenesque fiction that deserves a mention. One such novel is True Love Comes to Delaford which was published exactly a month ago. Jane Austen Fan Fiction readers will instantly recognised that this story is based on Sense and Sensibility. If you are unsure where or not to give it a try, check out the following guest post by the author, Virginia Kohl.
I love the story of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam as much as any other woman. However, as someone whose introduction to Miss Austen and the regency era was through Sense and Sensibility, that work has always been dear to me. Perhaps, more accurately, the character of Colonel Brandon has. Since the age of eleven, the kind and loyal Colonel has had my heart. My only problem? I could not see him making a lasting love match with Mrs. Dashwood's middle daughter. Throughout the story, as many of the book's characters also assume, I believed Colonel Brandon and Elinor Dashwood would end up together. Having developed a true friendship where the two respect and esteem each other, they are attuned to one another's tastes. I can picture them skillfully running Delaford, engaging in various pursuits together such as literary parlays, and enjoying a romantic, steady relationship. Having always felt that my favourite Austen hero and heroine were better suited, I set out to write the story I wanted to read — their love story.
For inspiration I combined Jane Austen's classic, my favourite film adaption and aspects of my own life to create True Love Comes to Delaford. The back cover invites the reader to learn more:
When Colonel Brandon resigned from the army to become the master of his family's estate, he thought his best days were behind him. For years, the bachelor of five-and-thirty has successfully avoided every attempt of his well-meaning friends to find him a suitable wife. Although, he soon finds himself questioning his long-held beliefs regarding his single status, when Miss Dashwood strolls into his life.
In this refreshing whimsy, Virginia Kohl explores the possibility of Elinor Dashwood and Colonel Brandon's devoted friendship turning into more.
If this has peaked your interest, please check out my debut novel available in Kindle and trade paperback now.
Why I wrote a Sense and Sensibility Whimsy
Jane Austen novels are classics. If imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery, then Miss Austen should be quite flattered. There are many variations and retellings of Pride and Prejudice, her best known and arguably most popular work. There are also, albeit far fewer, imitations of her other five books.I love the story of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam as much as any other woman. However, as someone whose introduction to Miss Austen and the regency era was through Sense and Sensibility, that work has always been dear to me. Perhaps, more accurately, the character of Colonel Brandon has. Since the age of eleven, the kind and loyal Colonel has had my heart. My only problem? I could not see him making a lasting love match with Mrs. Dashwood's middle daughter. Throughout the story, as many of the book's characters also assume, I believed Colonel Brandon and Elinor Dashwood would end up together. Having developed a true friendship where the two respect and esteem each other, they are attuned to one another's tastes. I can picture them skillfully running Delaford, engaging in various pursuits together such as literary parlays, and enjoying a romantic, steady relationship. Having always felt that my favourite Austen hero and heroine were better suited, I set out to write the story I wanted to read — their love story.
For inspiration I combined Jane Austen's classic, my favourite film adaption and aspects of my own life to create True Love Comes to Delaford. The back cover invites the reader to learn more:
Book Blurb
Elinor Dashwood's father dies, leaving the fate of his family in the hands of two self-serving vultures. With diminished chances of making a respectable match and several uneventful Seasons behind her, the fiercely independent, bibliophile focuses on helping her family adjust to their new life. However, as her friendship with an honorable gentleman grows, the twenty-year-old begins experiencing feelings she never thought possible.When Colonel Brandon resigned from the army to become the master of his family's estate, he thought his best days were behind him. For years, the bachelor of five-and-thirty has successfully avoided every attempt of his well-meaning friends to find him a suitable wife. Although, he soon finds himself questioning his long-held beliefs regarding his single status, when Miss Dashwood strolls into his life.
In this refreshing whimsy, Virginia Kohl explores the possibility of Elinor Dashwood and Colonel Brandon's devoted friendship turning into more.
If this has peaked your interest, please check out my debut novel available in Kindle and trade paperback now.
Author Bio
Virginia Kohl has been fascinated with the Regency era since discovering Jane Austen's works at the age of eleven. While others dreamt of Willoughby, it was Colonel Brandon who stole Virginia's heart from the very beginning. Originally from Germany, she shares her Texas home with her illustrator mother and faithful rescue dog. When not passing her love of learning on to her students, this college math professor enjoys reading, writing and being an active member of her local writer's guild.




I like the idea of Elinor and Colonel Brandon together
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like an interesting take on Austen's classic :)
ReplyDeleteI have read the book. I loved it from the beginning to end. It is a page turner that I just couldn't put down because I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. The book is witty clever. I can't wait for Miss. Kohl's next book.
ReplyDeleteI have read the book. I couldn't put it down!! I was so excited to find out what was going to happened to all of the characters in the book. The book was a page tuner of excitement, it was witty, classy, and a must read.
ReplyDelete