Skip to main content

To Refine Like Silver Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaways

As we look forward to a new month, several on-going blog tours are winding down. One such tour is author Jeanna Ellsworth's To Refine Like Silver. So let's welcome Jeanna to her final stop and read the enchanting excerpt she has chosen in addition to participating in the giveaway. Details are at the bottom of the post.
       Thank you so much for having me on your blog, ! I really appreciate it! This is the last stop on the blog tour and I have set you up with one of my favourite scenes! To Refine Like Silver was published in October and so far people seem to enjoy it. It isn't for everyone, but there is not a book out there that is! Take a look at the blurb.


Book Blurb
If Mr. Darcy had met Elizabeth Bennet in his beloved Derbyshire, would he have recognised her as the love of his life instead of dismissing her as someone "not handsome enough to tempt" him? This alteration of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice adds a little spirit, flirtation and charm to everyone's favourite characters.

Early in the summer of 1811, Elizabeth Bennet travels to Derbyshire to help her aunt and uncle settle in as new owners of Saphrinbrooke. Elizabeth is soon introduced to the estate's nearest neighbours: Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and his sister, Georgiana, who is suffering the results of a fateful trip to Ramsgate. Having endured several life tragedies herself, Elizabeth reaches out to the young lady of Pemberley. Under her radiant influence, both Darcy and Georgiana begin to look for help outside of themselves.

To Refine Like Silver is a romantic and spiritual journey where more than one of our favourite Regency characters must learn to fully rely on God. Their trials bring depth to the beloved story, and Mr. Darcy ultimately learns that our trials do not define us; rather they refine us.


Book Links
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Facebook


       I have chosen a scene where Darcy invites his neighbour tenant boys to a picnic and the boys have challenged Elizabeth to a frog hunting expedition. The boys, John, Jacob and Jeffrey all head one way but Darcy knows his land better than they do. I have to say that seeing Darcy in his element, in Derbyshire, makes him a little less reserved and perhaps a bit more flirty. It is a rather long excerpt but I thought I would leave the best excerpt for last! Happy reading! Enjoy!


Excerpt
       "Miss Elizabeth, come this way!" Darcy grabbed her hand and headed down the hill.

       "But the marsh is over that way!"

       "Trust me!" he grinned.

       Her long dress was slowing her down, so she lifted her skirt and ran with him. They weaved through a few trees, and then a muddy area opened up to them. There were high reeds and cattails waving in the wind. "Perfect!" she exclaimed. They stood there together looking at the marsh without moving. He was still holding her hand. "Sir, I may need my hand back to start searching, unless you intend to offer your services to hold my skirt up away from the mud?" She smiled saucily at him. He turned a scarlet red colour that went all the way to his ears and quickly dropped her hand. She let out a laugh. "I was only teasing, Mr. Darcy; I have no problem holding your hand. I rather like it."

       He looked into her eyes and felt her admiration, and it brought him such joy. "It is a nice feeling. I enjoy it too." He then turned and started pushing the weeds aside and said a quick prayer of thanks while he searched for frogs. The prayer ended abruptly when Elizabeth hiked her skirt up to her knees and stepped into the marsh. He could not help being a little distracted at the sight of her ankles. He was a man after all; it would take a great deal of praying to direct his thoughts elsewhere. He was so distracted that it was difficult to think about frogs at all. He admitted he was probably a liability now instead of an asset to their team and groaned slightly.

       "Are you all right, Mr. Darcy?" Elizabeth asked.

       He looked up from the reeds by her feet as she spoke. He would have to do a little better at controlling himself. "Of course. Now, let us find some amphibians."

       Elizabeth had seen a flash of frustration in his eyes, and she was confused by it. She turned her attention to the weeds in front of her. She waded out into the water a few inches, and with her free hand, she pushed the reeds from side to side.

       Although she was trying to look for frogs, her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Mr. Darcy. Every once in a while, she would steal a glance in his direction, and she would admire his strong legs or broad shoulders. His breeches must be tailor-made, because they fit him so nicely. The gentle wind was blowing his hair around, and he had one little curl right at the nape of his neck. The stray curl was simply adorable. She was nearly close enough to touch it. She turned her attention back to the weeds.

       Then they heard it. It was croaking right between them. They both turned to the sound at the same time, and their heads collided quite forcefully. She giggled and started to apologise. Mr. Darcy stepped back to regain his footing, but the mud was too slippery. He flailed his arms, trying to catch his balance, and then all at once, he fell backwards and landed in the muddy water.

       She could see from the flash of embarrassment in his eyes that nothing but his pride was hurt. She let out her amusement in the form of hysterical laughter.

       Darcy could not believe he had just fallen in the mud. And right in front of Elizabeth. As he listened to her laughter and saw her eyes sparkle as bright and reflective as ever, he started chuckling himself. He sat there in the mud, laughing and feeling his boots fill up with water. "I fear I have become a liability to our team. I have so much water in my boots that I do not think I can run." Then they heard the croak again. Elizabeth pounced on the frog with both hands, dropping her skirt into the mud.

       "Got it!" she called out.

       Mr. Darcy quickly stood up and followed Elizabeth out of the marsh. She ran back to the blanket, tightly clasping the prize-winning frog.

       "Georgiana! We did it! Master Jonathan, Lord Jacob, Sir Jeffrey!" she called out, "I want to give you my deepest condolences for you have lost to a girl! I caught the first frog, and you might as well come back now with your heads hung low." She saw them running towards her, and each of them had mud up to their knees.

       Jonathan was first to arrive. "I think you're trickin' us; there is no way you found a frog that quickly! You gotta show us."

       Jeffrey came close and leaned over Elizabeth's clasped hands, and she lowered it to his eye level. He gasped as she opened up her hands. "You really done it! And you're a girl!"

       Jacob laughed and pointed at Elizabeth. "Told ya you would get your dress dirty."

       Elizabeth laughed and said, "Well, speaking of dirty, Lord Jacob, I think you may be even dirtier than Mr. Darcy. Then again, we might have to have a fashion show. Georgiana, you must be the judge. Mr. Darcy must show his dirty, wet backside for you to evaluate who has the most mud on their breeches."

       "I will do no such thing! I am not flaunting my wares in front of everyone for your amusement. Your plan will not work. I will simply sit here on the grass until the mud dries."

       Georgiana giggled and said, "William, you must! I promise to be a fair and impartial judge. But, in the interest of impartiality, I believe Elizabeth must parade her petticoat as well. For I do believe that she may beat you in the category of 'most mud collected'."

       Elizabeth looked down at her skirt. She lifted it slightly and saw at least six inches of mud on her petticoat. "I accept. I never back down from a challenge. Mr. Darcy, would you like to go first or should I?"

       "You two have no mercy. I will go first so that I may return your giggles and laughter tenfold." The boys and Elizabeth sat down on the grass by Georgiana. Mr. Darcy flipped his tailcoat out dramatically and paraded in front of them, slowly walking from right to left and back again. Then he stood in the center and turned around full circle, pausing for extra effect while his back was to them to look back at them over his shoulder. He then completed the display with a deep, exaggerated bow, and sat down amidst the boys' giggles.

       "You did that like a girl!" Jeffrey yelled.

       Jonathan bent over laughing and hugged his middle. "My parents will never believe it! I'm gonna tell everyone how you did that! Mr. Darcy, you're gonna win! You're filthy!"

       Mr. Darcy turned to Elizabeth and said, "I believe it is your turn, madam."

       "Very well, who will hold the frog?" All three boys' hands went up, but she turned and stretched forth her prize to Georgiana with a smile.

       Georgiana squealed and said, "No! How disgusting! Get that away from me!"

       "If you wish, but consider it a peace offering and remember my kindness as you make your final judgement."

       Darcy said, "You are blackmailing the judge? You cannot do that!"

       "I do not believe we stipulated any rules besides allowing you to go first," Elizabeth pointed out.

       Georgiana giggled again and said, "That is correct, William. You should have considered bribery."

       "A Darcy would never stoop so low," he mockingly scolded Georgiana with a fairly convincing look of disappointment.

       Elizabeth handed the frog to Jonathan, and then, in her best Miss Bingley impersonation, she sauntered one way and then the other. She lifted one hand up to her hair, and then with the other hand, she lifted the skirt and stretched out her leg to reveal the dirty petticoat. Laughter erupted, and she tried to hold back her own giggles. She then lifted both sides of her skirt and quickly spun around several times, making the muddy petticoat twirl to full effect. Then she stopped and gave her most dramatic curtsy. All the onlookers clapped loudly, and she returned to the blanket. "What is your verdict, Georgiana?"

       "If this were London's fashion show, I would have to say that the award for presentation belongs to Elizabeth. But for pure amusement and quantity of mud, I am afraid to tell you that you won, William. Go along, boys, you may go play with the frog now." The boys ran off towards the middle of the field.

       "None of you have a lick of sense!" Mr. Darcy joked. "I thought Miss Elizabeth's petticoat was memorable!"

       Elizabeth laughed out right and said, "Are you wishing for me to tell you that your backside was memorable? Because I may catch frogs, but I am still a lady!"


Author Links
Website  |  Blog  |  Facebook  |  Facebook  |  Facebook  |  Twitter


Giveaway
Hope you all enjoyed that! It is a rather fun scene. Truly one of my favourites in this book. Thank you all for taking the time to read it! Now, if you want a chance to win To Refine Like Silver FREE, or a chance to win the second prize, a bar of Fitzwilliam Darcy soap, then comment below by 11.59 pm on Sunday, 8 February 2015. You can also like my author's page on Facebook, Jeanna Ellsworth.

I also wanted to let you know that editing of the next book that will be published has begun. Inspired by Grace is an original Regency Romance with all new characters. I hope you all can like the Facebook page for the title (Inspired by Grace) also so you can hear of the latest on publication. If you like my Author's page you will know when it is published too. My plan is a May publication.

The giveaway rules are as follows: One winner can either choose a paperback of To Refine Like Silver (US only) or an e-book (internationally). The other winner will get a bar of Fitzwilliam Darcy soap that is heavenly! It smells like lemon and sandalwood. Good luck with the giveaway!

Thanks again ! What a way to end the blog tour.

Comments

  1. I was able to win a copy of this one so I'm not entering the giveaway, but I just wanted to say I love the excerpt- too cute- and look forward to reading the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia! Hope you get a chance to read the whole thing! Let me know how you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I already have a copy of "To Refine Like Silver" but I'd love a chance to win the Mr. Darcy soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you win the soap you will not be disappointed. It smells of lemon and sandalwood. Yummy! Smells just as I picture a man smelling in 1812 (a clean man!) Eva has some other great soaps too.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Darcy with mud all over his back side. That was quite entertaining! Thanks Jeanna, would love to add to my P&P collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This scene was not in my plot outline but I needed something fun and light after the heavy chapter 7 and I thought a picnic! But one thing led to a frog hunting expatiation, which led to a mud fashion show! The characters made me do it! They took ahold of my computer and wrote the scene for me!

      Delete
    2. The characters made me do it! I needed a lighter fun scene after a heavy chapter 7 and so I thought, picnic! Which led to frog hunting, which led to a mud fashion show! I never had it in my plot outline but it is one of the funnest parts of the book!

      Delete
  4. Ms. Ellsworth's love of writing and her love of Jane Austen's characters are displayed in this very inspiring novel and it makes you think and realize what is important in life. I have read the novel and it is one of the best I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes*

      Thanks MaryAnn, that was kind of you to say. I do hope that people enjoy my writing, but this book is especially close to my heart. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this wonderful feature, great excerpt which I enjoyed and the lovely giveaway. What a delightful post and site. Many thanks. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Good luck in the giveaway!

      Delete
  6. I would love either of these, the book looks great and the soap would be wonderful.
    dez3b at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! We will mark you down! Hope you win!

      Delete
  7. Really enjoyed the excerpt...lighthearted and
    flirtatious! Hope to win the paperback for my
    collection or the wonderful soap. Thank you
    for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Darcy is a bit more flirtatious in this book. It made for a fun write and hopefully a fun read! you will not be disappointed in the book or soap, whichever you win! You are welcome!

      Delete
  8. Sigh! This book was exquisite and I have both the print and eBook. I love the smell of the Fitzwilliam Darcy soap. Evie is gifted with her creations. Both are excellent prizes that I already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joy! You are so kind! And I agree that the soap is just right! I have it on the shelf above my computer so I can reach up and smell it when I need a Darcy fix. Evie is amazing! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. What a delightful excerpt! I have read a few others from the book on various websites/blogs and it seems a charming variation. Thanks so much for the opportunity to win a copy.

    Regina Silvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get a chance to read it! Hope you win!

      Delete
  10. I loved the post. I am such a fan of Jeanna's other books and I cannot wait to read this one. Thanks for the giveaway!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee hee. Yay! Glad you liked my others. This one holds a special place in my heart though. It really is my favorite.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful scene! It is so nice to read a happy playful moment. I would love to own the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to write! The characters just took over. I can see Darcy proudly strutting his stuff and Elizabeth teasing him. Fun times.

      Delete
  12. What a fun excerpt! A playful, muddy Darcy....what's not to love? :-)

    Thank for the giveaway! Needless to say, I'd love to win either prize!

    Pamh5230(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun when I write to see what evolves. It started out as a simple picnic scene but things just happened. One thing led to another and suddenly we were having a fashion show! I can just see Elizabeth bribing Georgiana like that.

      Delete
  13. Not sure where my post has gone. It's disappeared into cyberspace by the looks of it!

    Jeanna, I love the idea of Darcy "flaunting his wares". Definitely had a chuckle at that one. A lovely light-hearted chapter. Thank you.

    Would love to have a chance at the ebook, please. I guess the soap is only on offer to US residents, sadly. I think it would make my "unmentionables" drawer smell divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had posts disappear too! Glad I could make you laugh. I admit I made myself laugh when I typed it. If the writer is entertained while writing, that is usually a good sign that the reader will be too. I frequently am surprised when I reread parts of my books and wonder how it is that I can be so entertained when there are parts that i have memorized! I'm hopeless.

      Delete
  14. Isn't the soap amazing? Hope you like the book just as much. Good luck with the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to enter the giveaway. The excerpt is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peculiar Connection Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

Happy and blessed Easter to all my Christian readers! Today it is with immense pleasure that I welcome Austenesque author Jan Hahn to my blog. If you are not familiar with her works, you should know that she has written four Pride and Prejudice stories and all are published by Meryton Press. These include An Arranged Marriage , The Journey , The Secret Betrothal and the recently released novel titled A Peculiar Connection . Read her fascinating guest post below and participate in discussion to enter the giveaway. What's in a Title? Thank you, Lúthien84, for participating in my blog tour and for allowing me to be your guest today. Shakespeare says " A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. " But can you imagine the flower we know as the rose being called a stinkweed? Would the stinkweed be famous for its sweetness or would its very name make us shy away from taking a whiff? And what about book titles? Does the name draw you in or turn you off? Would A...

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Have you heard of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries which debuted on the web a couple of months ago? I think you should check it out as it is a relatively new concept that has not been fully explored on any Jane Austen's novels. I append part of the press release from the official website for your perusal. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is an innovative, original episodic video and social media series produced for the web. Adapting Pride and Prejudice to the modern era, Lizzie Bennet tells the classic Jane Austen tale from the point-of-view of an Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Bennet who grew up in a world of cell phones, video cameras and social media. The series was created by popular YouTube personality Hank Green and Streamy Award-winning web video writer Bernie Su. Combining web video and social media in a way never before seen for a literary adaptation, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries takes the characters of Pride and Prejudice and tells their stories across a network of different plat...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 14-20 March 2011

The Austenesque scout is pleased to inform her readers about three giveaways for this week. Meredith, blogger mistress of Austenesque Reviews is hosting a book giveaway for two new copies of The Jane Austen Handbook: Proper Life Skills from Regency England donated by the publisher, Quirk Books. This Regency etiquette book is actually a re-release of the same contents but with a different cover and was first published in 2007. If you are interested to win, just leave a comment and your email address here . You can also read her review and get more information on how to earn additional entries here . The bad news is this contest is open to US residents only and ends next Wednesday, 23 March 2011 . The second giveaway on offer is Georgette Heyer's novel, Cotillion . This contest is organised by Meredith at her blog and is open to all international readers . To enter, leave a comment here suggesting which Georgette Heyer novel she should read next . For those who have never...

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman: Book Review

Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★ After enduring a not very likeable Austenesque fiction in Karen V. Wasylowski's Darcy and Fitzwilliam which was reviewed several months ago, I was a little wary of reading any Austen-themed novels which caught my fancy because of its beautifully designed covers. After my colleague recommend me to try Maria Hamilton's debut novel, I made up my mind to read it next. It proved to be a wise choice for I spend many hours perusing this delightful Pride and Prejudice what-if story. Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman begins after Fitzwilliam Darcy's disastrous marriage proposal to Elizabeth Bennet in Hunsford Parsonage, Kent. After thinking over her reasons for refusing him, Darcy decides to take her reproves to heart and tries to correct the mistakes that he committed in his past although unintentional done. Foremost on his mind is to try and salvage his friend, Charles Bingley's relationship with Jane Bennet and act in a manner wort...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 31 October-6 November 2011

The Austenesque scout would like to inform her readers a tons of Austen-themed swags for this week. Firstly, Austen Author 's Mary Lydon Simonsen has recently self-published a novella re-imagining Jane Austen's naval hero from Persuasion titled Captain Wentworth: Home from the Sea . As a token of appreciation for Janeites who have helped her all these years of writing Austenesque genre, she is giving away two copies of this novella to readers who leave a comment on her post . In your comment, please tell her what you love about Persuasion and include your email address . This fabulous giveaway is open worldwide and closes next Tuesday, 8 November 2011 . Over at My Jane Austen Book Club , there is a video interview with P. D. James who has written Death Comes to Pemberley , a Pride & Prejudice sequel with a mystery twist. Watch the video and answer the question posted by Maria in your comment for a chance to win a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley . Remember to...