Skip to main content

Austenesque Extravaganza: My Guide to Jane Austen Para-literature

Welcome to my blog! First of all, I would like to thank Meredith, the gracious hostess of Austenesque Extravaganza for inviting me to participate. To those who have come over from Austenesque Reviews, I hope you are having a wonderful time celebrating this event. Remember to leave your comment(s) for an opportunity to win a prize of more than 70 Austenesque novels and gifts at her blog after you have filled up the giveaway form. For this fifth and final edition of Traveling Tuesday post, I would like to talk about the various published Jane Austen para-literature available in the book industry.

Prequel — occurs before the opening chapters of Jane Austen's novels
For those who have read Persuasion, you will know that the book is set eight years after the broken engagement between Frederick Wentworth and Anne Elliot. Prequel forms part of the back-story and might tell you what could have happened in the intervening years such as how Wentworth overcome his heartbreak and set out to become successful and make his fortune in the Navy.

Or take Pride and Prejudice for example since there are so many novels inspired by the famously proud and aloof Mr Darcy and quick-witted Elizabeth Bennet. It is mentioned in the novel about his sister Gerogiana's trouble with a certain rake so fiction may focus on Mr Darcy's thoughts and action to overcome this family problem and ends just before he sets foot in the Meryton assembly. Alternatively, you may want to read how Mr Darcy grew up to be the way he is in Pamela Aidan's novella, Young Master Darcy: A Lesson in Honour.

Sequel — continues the elements of Jane Austen's original story
By far the most common and popular genre in Austen-inspired works. In many cases, it has the same characters and settings which usually takes you beyond the wedding of the heroes and heroines. It can lead to a series of novels such as The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins, Marsha Altman's The Darcys & the Bingleys series and The Darcy Saga by Sharon Lathan where all three series concentrate on the married lives of key characters in Pride and Prejudice.

Other than that, secondary characters which are not fully developed by Jane Austen are given their own story to tell. Such examples include Elizabeth Elliot from Persuasion where she lives in the Mercy's Embrace series by Laura Hile, Emma's Mrs Elton in The Compleat Mrs. Elton by Diana Birchall and Jennifer Becton's Charlotte Collins of Pride and Prejudice fame.

Retelling — focuses on the heroes' point-of-view and tell their sides of the stories
You may be aware that Jane Austen did not write scenes between men if ladies are not present in them. Thus it gives us much to ponder about how men behave and converse when they are not in the company of genteel women. What do they do to pass their time and what are they thinking of?

My favourite retellings include Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman trilogy immortalised by Pamela Aidan, Susan Kaye's Frederick Wentworth, Captain series, the excellent novels of George Knightley, Esquire by Barbara Cornthwaite and the many Austen men diaries written by the talented Amanda Grange such as Mr. Knightley's Diary, Colonel Brandon's Diary and Edmund Bertram's Diary.

On the other hand the same plot can be disclosed from the eyes of secondary characters which gives it more depth but there are very few books on this that are published. Notable examples are Jane Fairfax written by Joan Aiken and Joan Ellen Delman's Lovers' Perjuries: Or, The Clandestine Courtship of Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill where both talks about an accomplished girl whom Emma is envious of.

Variation or what-if — spotlight on what would happen if the story took a different turn in the middle
What if Mr Darcy did not utter the humiliating remark about Elizabeth Bennet and instead dance with her in the Meryton Assembly? (Alexa Adam's First Impressions) What if Anne Elliot of Persuasion did not turn down Wentworth's proposal years ago? How would their marriage be like? Or how about Mansfield Park's heroine Fanny Price accepts Henry Crawford's hand in marriage? Will she be able to change him for the better or will he eventually hurt Fanny with his dissipated ways? These are some of the questions readers are curious to know when there is a slight change to the circumstances for it does open up a whole world of possibility. Where will the story lead to? Will it come back to the same conclusion as Jane Austen wrote or will it take a drastically different path?

The pioneer for this genre is Abigail Reynolds who has published a succession of novels about Pride and Prejudice's famous couple in her aptly named series The Pemberley Variations. These include Impulse & Initiative (re-titled as To Conquer Mr. Darcy), Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World, Mr. Darcy's Obsession, What Would Mr. Darcy Do? and the upcoming release, Mr. Darcy's Undoing.

Modern adaptations — updates Jane Austen's works into contemporary settings
They should at least follow the gist of the plot but it is not necessary to include all the themes present in the original text. Some of these books have often added scenes that would only suit the twenty-first century sensibilities with most writers focusing on turning up the angst and conflict to make the story more exciting. The Three Weissmanns of Westport (Sense and Sensibility), Pemberley by the Sea which is re-titled as The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice (Pride and Prejudice) and The Importance of Being Emma (Emma) are some of the modern novels that come to mind.

Apart from the five genres, there are other types of spin-offs that have spawned the market for Austen-inspired tales. Time travel is one of them where a modern woman goes back in time to the Regency world of Jane Austen and vice-versa. This can be seen in Laurie Viera Rigler's two romantic comedy novels, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict and Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict. Then there is also a Stephanie Barron's Being a Jane Austen Mystery series which fictionalise Jane Austen as a Regency detective looking for clues to solve gruesome murders. Most recently the authoress herself is reincarnated as a vampire who is still living among us in Michael Thomas Ford's trilogy with Jane Bites Back and Jane Goes Batty released so far. Let's not forget about the mash-up phenomena of embellishing the text with supernatural elements as seen in New York Times bestseller's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and their likes.

Truly Jane Austen para-literature is continuing its growth of reaching out to people who have read her original works but yearn to learn more of their favourite characters. If you are lost in the sea of this emerging phenomenon, there are always her six novels to return to. For a complete list Austen-themed novels, visit Austenesque Review's blog page.

Do share about your favourite genres that you tend to read in Austenesque novels. Do you prefer sequels, prequels, retellings, etc. or combination of more than one? Or if there are other genres which I left out, please share it. You can include examples about the storyline that you have in mind but have not read it anywhere before. I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

  1. I personally love sequels and variations. Sequels 'cause I love seeing the happily ever after, and the variations just cause there are some great writers of variations...Jan H's "The arranged marriage" comes to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just place all these under my JA genre, I never thought you can call them so many different things so now I do not know, I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Sylvia for the mention of None But You and For You Alone.

    You have a beautiful site that I will have to add to the list of places I visit.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blodeuedd: Well, I was first enlightened by Meredith's blog when she classified JA-inspired books. There could be other classification so this is not hard-and-fast rule. It depends on each individual.

    Susan: It's my pleasure. And thanks for the compliments.

    Araminta18: I agree with you about the happy endings. As long as the story is good, I tend to read everything. No preference whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy variations and LOVE Grange's Diaries...like, LOVE them. I also enjoy modern adaptations :o)

    So long as the story is good though, and feels Austen-ish while also keeping my attention, I'll read it, so I'm somewhat easily pleased while also being somewhat particular, haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be honest I have not read too many just yet, of course I hope to change that by winning lol! I think I'm curious about the inspired novels a little more. They can be set in any era therefore a little more interesting to me. Thanks for the post! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them all but I guess I would say I like variations or what-ifs the best. I never get tired of watching Darcy and Lizzy fall in love, even if sometimes it takes them way too darn long! I particularly like sequels that feature the characters' children (Sharon Lathan does this so well in her Saga, with Alexander Darcy. He's so cute!) and I like reading stories about minor characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca: I agree with you about reading a good story. As long as it stays true to Austen's intentions, I will give it a try.

    Margaret: You're most welcome. Hope you win the Austen-inspired novels.

    MonicaP: I haven't read Sharon Lathan's The Darcy Saga but will read it when I'm free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer retellings, variations, and moderns. I am not much of a sequel fan, unless it really seems to get my attention. But after Darcy and Elizabeth or Anne and Capt. Wentworth fall in love and get each other, I know it is HEA. My favorite part is seeing "how" the couple will get together. What events will bring them together, threaten to tear them apart, how are they going to overcome those obsticles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for contributing such a lovely post for AE, Sylvia! As you may guess, I love to categorize my Austenesque literature too! LOL! For me it makes things eaiser to classify them, I hope others find it useful too!

    What are my favorite types of Austenesque novels? I'd say variation, moderns, and what I like to call the Jane Austen Chick-Lit genre. Novels like A Weekend with Mr. Darcy and According to Jane are just perfect for me! They don't really belong to a certain Jane Austen novel, they are about modern heroines who love Jane Austen just as much as I do!

    Thanks for the thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jakki L: I just read at Nancy Kelley's Austen Aspirations that conflicts drive characters to change. So you are referring to conflict which drives the plot. I like that. Maybe because I read fewer Persuasion sequels but I don't remember any writers attempting to portray Anne and Wentworth's conflict unless I count Regina Jeffer's Captain Wentworth's Persuasion.

    Meredith: You're welcome. It's my pleasure to be able to contribute something that hopefully does not bore your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy a variation or a sequel or something completly different. I'm not a big fan of lots of sex though. I just want a good, well told story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just recently started reading "Austenesque" novels and really appreciate the time you've taken to outline the variations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Post! The Austenesque types of novels I enjoy are the modern stories of women who just LOVE Jane Austen as much as I do. I loved A Weekend with Mr Darcy by Victoria Connelly and I love the books by Beth Pattillo! I also enjoy "what if" stories, my favorite being Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise! And I love stories about the minor characters, Laura Hile's series Mercy's Embrace is wonderful and I loved Charlotte Collins by Jennifer Becton! As long as the book is well written WITHOUT graphic sex scenes, cursing, or vampires, I'll probably enjoy it! Oh, and I do enjoy time travel stories and Stephanie Barron's JA inspired mysteries too! I guess I love it all!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish to express my sincere thanks to all for your wonderful comments.

    Kaydee: Sex scenes are okay for me as long as it is tastefully described. No explicit/graphic sex scenes unless it is absolutely necessary to show the characters' emotional growth, etc.

    Kelli: I too like Stephanie Barron's JA mystery series, Laurie Viera Rigler's time travel stories of Jane Austen addicts and Beth Pattillo's modern stories except for her second book, Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart. I have not read the other titles yet as some are not available in workplace. (P/s: I work in a bookstore helping with PC problems)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like sequels like Carrie Bebris' Mr and Mrs Darcy Mystery Series. It's a great way to continue Darcy and Elizabeth's story while getting to check in on the characters from the other novels too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must admit I'm new to the austinesque novels but reading your posts as well as Meredith's I can't wait to read more! I love Jane Austen and anything to do with her characters! I hope o read more soon so I can have my categories too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love the prequels, sequels and modernizations of Jane's novels. Not too fond of the mashups, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorites are sequels and variations. My favorite authors in the genre are Abigail Reynolds, Marsha Altman, Mary Simonsen and Kara Louise. I really became a fan of fan fiction when I met Pamela Aiden last fall. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peculiar Connection Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

Happy and blessed Easter to all my Christian readers! Today it is with immense pleasure that I welcome Austenesque author Jan Hahn to my blog. If you are not familiar with her works, you should know that she has written four Pride and Prejudice stories and all are published by Meryton Press. These include An Arranged Marriage , The Journey , The Secret Betrothal and the recently released novel titled A Peculiar Connection . Read her fascinating guest post below and participate in discussion to enter the giveaway. What's in a Title? Thank you, Lúthien84, for participating in my blog tour and for allowing me to be your guest today. Shakespeare says " A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. " But can you imagine the flower we know as the rose being called a stinkweed? Would the stinkweed be famous for its sweetness or would its very name make us shy away from taking a whiff? And what about book titles? Does the name draw you in or turn you off? Would A...

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Have you heard of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries which debuted on the web a couple of months ago? I think you should check it out as it is a relatively new concept that has not been fully explored on any Jane Austen's novels. I append part of the press release from the official website for your perusal. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is an innovative, original episodic video and social media series produced for the web. Adapting Pride and Prejudice to the modern era, Lizzie Bennet tells the classic Jane Austen tale from the point-of-view of an Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Bennet who grew up in a world of cell phones, video cameras and social media. The series was created by popular YouTube personality Hank Green and Streamy Award-winning web video writer Bernie Su. Combining web video and social media in a way never before seen for a literary adaptation, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries takes the characters of Pride and Prejudice and tells their stories across a network of different plat...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 14-20 March 2011

The Austenesque scout is pleased to inform her readers about three giveaways for this week. Meredith, blogger mistress of Austenesque Reviews is hosting a book giveaway for two new copies of The Jane Austen Handbook: Proper Life Skills from Regency England donated by the publisher, Quirk Books. This Regency etiquette book is actually a re-release of the same contents but with a different cover and was first published in 2007. If you are interested to win, just leave a comment and your email address here . You can also read her review and get more information on how to earn additional entries here . The bad news is this contest is open to US residents only and ends next Wednesday, 23 March 2011 . The second giveaway on offer is Georgette Heyer's novel, Cotillion . This contest is organised by Meredith at her blog and is open to all international readers . To enter, leave a comment here suggesting which Georgette Heyer novel she should read next . For those who have never...

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman: Book Review

Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★ After enduring a not very likeable Austenesque fiction in Karen V. Wasylowski's Darcy and Fitzwilliam which was reviewed several months ago, I was a little wary of reading any Austen-themed novels which caught my fancy because of its beautifully designed covers. After my colleague recommend me to try Maria Hamilton's debut novel, I made up my mind to read it next. It proved to be a wise choice for I spend many hours perusing this delightful Pride and Prejudice what-if story. Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman begins after Fitzwilliam Darcy's disastrous marriage proposal to Elizabeth Bennet in Hunsford Parsonage, Kent. After thinking over her reasons for refusing him, Darcy decides to take her reproves to heart and tries to correct the mistakes that he committed in his past although unintentional done. Foremost on his mind is to try and salvage his friend, Charles Bingley's relationship with Jane Bennet and act in a manner wort...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 31 October-6 November 2011

The Austenesque scout would like to inform her readers a tons of Austen-themed swags for this week. Firstly, Austen Author 's Mary Lydon Simonsen has recently self-published a novella re-imagining Jane Austen's naval hero from Persuasion titled Captain Wentworth: Home from the Sea . As a token of appreciation for Janeites who have helped her all these years of writing Austenesque genre, she is giving away two copies of this novella to readers who leave a comment on her post . In your comment, please tell her what you love about Persuasion and include your email address . This fabulous giveaway is open worldwide and closes next Tuesday, 8 November 2011 . Over at My Jane Austen Book Club , there is a video interview with P. D. James who has written Death Comes to Pemberley , a Pride & Prejudice sequel with a mystery twist. Watch the video and answer the question posted by Maria in your comment for a chance to win a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley . Remember to...