Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★
This is an enjoyable book which I read on my commute back from work and is also one of the quickest book which I finished with only 127 pages to browse through. The book contains memorable quotes on the subject of love culled from original sources of Jane Austen's oeuvres, juvenilia and letters.
It begins with a brief introduction to summarise what you will expect to find. I think Ms Moore made a wise decision to divide her book into fifteen chapters which addresses topics ranging from love, dressing, dancing, conversation, to engagement, marriage, breaking up and living happily ever after. Besides this, I applaud her effort to include selected illustrations by C. E. Brock, H. M. Brock and Hugh Thomson to correspond to the various quotations mentioned. I would prefer that the illustrations are in colour but I am satisfied as it is in blue colour because it is pack with more quotations to compensate this quality. It is also handy when you need to refer to some love quotes but don't exactly remember which character said it and in which novel.
In comparison to The Jane Austen Companion for Love which I read and review it a few months ago, I would say that both books compliments each other as some quotes that are not in one book could be found in the other. If you value lavish illustrations, I would suggest to get The Jane Austen Companion for Love. Overall I think my time is well spent dwelling into the realm of Jane Austen's world once again.
This is my seventh review for the Everything Austen II challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word and The Book Buff's Jane Austen is My Homegirl Reading Challenge.
This is an enjoyable book which I read on my commute back from work and is also one of the quickest book which I finished with only 127 pages to browse through. The book contains memorable quotes on the subject of love culled from original sources of Jane Austen's oeuvres, juvenilia and letters.
It begins with a brief introduction to summarise what you will expect to find. I think Ms Moore made a wise decision to divide her book into fifteen chapters which addresses topics ranging from love, dressing, dancing, conversation, to engagement, marriage, breaking up and living happily ever after. Besides this, I applaud her effort to include selected illustrations by C. E. Brock, H. M. Brock and Hugh Thomson to correspond to the various quotations mentioned. I would prefer that the illustrations are in colour but I am satisfied as it is in blue colour because it is pack with more quotations to compensate this quality. It is also handy when you need to refer to some love quotes but don't exactly remember which character said it and in which novel.
In comparison to The Jane Austen Companion for Love which I read and review it a few months ago, I would say that both books compliments each other as some quotes that are not in one book could be found in the other. If you value lavish illustrations, I would suggest to get The Jane Austen Companion for Love. Overall I think my time is well spent dwelling into the realm of Jane Austen's world once again.
This is my seventh review for the Everything Austen II challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word and The Book Buff's Jane Austen is My Homegirl Reading Challenge.

This looks like an interesting book - I need to check it out!
ReplyDelete