Skip to main content

Mistress Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

Greeting, dear readers! Are you excited to read another new Pride and Prejudice variation? Then let's welcome author Sophie Turner who is on her eight blog tour stop to promote her newly released Mistress. We have a memorable excerpt today which Sophie would like to share from her fourth published Austenesque book. Be sure to read through to the end of the post and participate in the giveaway. Over to you, Sophie.
Thank you, Lúthien84, for inviting me to visit with your readers today to share this excerpt from my new release, Mistress. In Mistress, some of the usual things that act as obstacles in the Elizabeth/Darcy relationship are tempered by time and their present situation, but there are new obstacles Darcy must overcome. He must spend a great deal of time simply earning Elizabeth's trust, after a marriage that made her miserable. I hope your readers enjoy this excerpt!


Excerpt
       They had reached the house, but Elizabeth indicated the path to the garden, and they walked on.

       "It is possible to feel alone amongst others, when those who understood you are gone."

       "Your father?"

       "Yes, and Jane. At least she had not gone far." Elizabeth's eyes filled with tears, and she was surprised to find him reach over with his free hand and cover hers.

       "You and your father were very close, were you not?" he asked. "The loss of a parent can never be easy, but that must have made it all the more difficult."

       "Yes, we were very close. I knew, of course — I knew that someday I would lose him, but I did not think it would happen so soon. Although in truth, the difficulties of our situation outweighed the difficulties of the loss, when it happened."

       "Of course. I am sorry — I spoke without thinking," he said, withdrawing his hand.

       "You need not apologise. I do wish the loss could have been my focus, at least for a little while," Elizabeth said. "I wanted to mourn my father for longer, but he — but it was determined best under the circumstances that I marry quickly."

       "I would have — I would have thought some arrangement could have been made to allow you that time. You should have been allowed time to mourn."

       Once again, Elizabeth struggled to contain her tears, seeking to divert the conversation once her voice was steady enough to do so: "You have known the same loss, of course, twice over. How old were you, when your parents died?"

       "Seventeen, for my mother, and two and twenty, for my father. Each loss was difficult in its own way, but I believe my father's was the more difficult. I was fortunate, if such a thing can be called fortune: his illness was of slightly longer duration, and thus I had a little time to prepare."

       "How does one ever really prepare for such a thing, regardless of how much time one has?"

       "You are right: you can never be truly prepared. I felt that acutely, in the beginning. To have lost forever the person whose company I enjoyed, whose advice I had relied on, was difficult enough in itself, but added to that was finding myself bearing the burden of his responsibilities. For that, at least, I was glad to have some little warning."

       "I understand you. When my father died, it was so unexpected. Everything and everyone in the house was all in chaos. I wanted to cry — I wanted to have time, just to comprehend what had happened — but someone needed to take charge of everything."

       "And it was you, of course, who carried the responsibility for your family in that situation, as you do now."

       "I did, for a time," Elizabeth said, bitterly, "but my responsibilities ended on my wedding day."

       "I understand yours was not a happy marriage," he said, quietly.

       "In that, I bore some fault, too. Someone less headstrong than myself might have attempted persuasion, or even manipulation, to bring about her wishes, but I hated that Mr. Collins would not listen to me, and the more I argued with him, the more he diminished my role." Elizabeth could not believe she had shared such a thing with him, something she rarely even spoke of with Jane, and yet she had no regrets in saying what she had. She had thought Mr. Darcy reserved, but in truth, his quiet demeanour made him a very good listener, and he always spoke with what seemed an astute sympathy, when he did speak on delicate topics.

       "Do not put the blame on yourself, Mrs. Collins," he said. "You were placed in an impossible situation, and Collins was a fool if he would not listen to you."

       He had again spoken so as to nearly overwhelm her, and Elizabeth wondered how her opinion of him could ever have been what it was. Still, she had shared as much as she was willing to, and did not want to continue the conversation in this line any further, so she took a deep breath, attempting a cheery tone as she said, "It is in the past, now. Even my half-mourning is complete — I am so looking forward to the ball. I suppose you are not. I recall you were not very fond of dancing."

       "I would wish to dance with you, if you have not filled your sets."


Book Blurb
One night, to decide his entire life's happiness.

Chastened by Charles Bingley following Mr. Bennet's untimely death, Fitzwilliam Darcy determines he will offer marriage to Elizabeth Bennet, but she marries another.

Years later, a widowed Elizabeth is mistress of Longbourn, and has vowed she will never marry again. A house party at Netherfield brings them back together, but Darcy will have to win more than her heart if he is to have any chance at making her mistress of Pemberley.


Book Links
Amazon  |  Kindle


Spotify Playlist
Sophie has created a fantastic playlist that accompanies her book so check it out:



Author Bio
Sophie Turner worked as an online editor before delving even more fully into the tech world. Writing, researching the Regency era, and occasionally dreaming about living in Britain are her escapes from her day job.

She was afraid of long series until she ventured upon Patrick O'Brian's 20-book Aubrey-Maturin masterpiece, something she might have repeated five times through.

Alas, her Constant Love series is only planned to be seven books right now, and consists of A Constant Love, A Change of Legacies and the in-progress A Season Lost.

She blogs about her writing endeavours at A Lady's Imagination, where readers can find direction for the various social drawing-rooms across the Internet where she may be called upon.


Author Links
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads  |  Pinterest


Giveaway
Sophie, thank you very much for providing the excerpt above and donating two e-books of Mistress. All the best in your writing journey and do continue to publish more entertaining Pride and Prejudice sequels and variations. I would also like to offer my gratitude and appreciation to Just Jane 1813's Claudine Pepe for your kind invitation to participate in this book tour and coordinating this virtual event.

If you like to enter the giveaway, just leave a comment mentioning your thoughts on the excerpt, the book or ask the author questions. The contest is open to all international readers but please make sure you comment by 11.59 pm on Sunday, 2 April 2017.

The winners will be announced two days later and must contact me on this page within 72 hours after the winner's post is up to claim the prize. Please take note that although you may have written your email address in your comment, you still need to inform me. If I do not hear from you, a new winner will be selected instead.

Comments

  1. Looking forward to reading this, thanks for the excerpt. Wondering now how does Collins die

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a lovely excerpt ladies. And what a line to end it on! Please tell me she said yes? This Darcy sounds so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds interesting. Thanks for all the work you do to bring us free and low cost books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this excerpt! It promises that the book is full of such tender moments and conversations between our beloved characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful excerpt. I'm excited to read a story about an older and wiser Elizabeth and Darcy. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the excerpt and giveaway. I feel so sorry for Elizabeth. To hear of how her husband diminished her role and wouldn't listen to her made my heart break for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? Lizzy married Collins! Ewww! Happy he has passed on before this story gets going! Sorry, it gives me goose bumps. Thank you for writing and feeding my addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the excerpt and giveaway. I feel so sorry for Elizabeth being treated so poorly by Mr. Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment, Vesper, and good luck in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lúthien84, thank you so much for hosting the excerpt here, and the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure to host you, Sophie. Thanks for commenting and interacting with the readers.

      Delete
  11. They have both been through much. I look forward to seeing how they finally get their HEA. Thank you for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holly Molly! Lizzy and Mr Collins married??? At least he died soon... I'll have to read it now that I found the playlist brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I will finish this book, but I'm having trouble moving into Lizzy's first marriage. I know it will be very angst ridden and as well written as the first portion is, seem very real. I've not been a participant in such a marriage, but I've has real knowledge of such situations. Horrible! And it's a subject that does need much publicity, so thank you for writing about it. It certainly isn't Lizzy's first experience with the issue from Collins or from other spouses, never easy to read about, always a relief when her situation changes for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anji, how could she say no? ;-)

    Paula, glad to hear it sounds interesting!

    oloore, yes, there are definitely many more tender moments and conversations between ODC. The nice thing that I found about Elizabeth's being a widow is that they could spend more time alone together without it being an issue.

    Pamela, thanks, gla to hear you enjoyed it! It was definitely fun to write an older and wiser Elizabeth, although there's certainly an element of sadness to how she got to be that way.

    sip, thanks, glad to hear you liked it!

    darcybennett, you're welcome...Elizabeth's treatment by Mr. Collins definitely is the tough aspect, but it opened up a lot of possibilities between her and Darcy.

    Becky, I'm glad you said that. Obviously Elizabeth had a rough time of it, but Darcy definitely did, too...chastized by Bingley and then he lost the lady. :-( But this book is all about second chances...

    Thanks to all of you for your comments, and good luck in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mira, glad to hear you liked the playlist! I always have my own personal playlists for writing different stories, but this is the first time I've shared one.

    Betty, it is definitely a tough topic to read through (and one I agree needs more publicity). I tried to keep it short, so that most of her interactions with Collins are told as events of the past, often when she's talking with Darcy.

    Thanks to you both for your comments, and good luck in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oof, despite having read this several times, it comes as a jolt every time I hear Elizabeth referred to as Mrs. Collins!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peculiar Connection Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

Happy and blessed Easter to all my Christian readers! Today it is with immense pleasure that I welcome Austenesque author Jan Hahn to my blog. If you are not familiar with her works, you should know that she has written four Pride and Prejudice stories and all are published by Meryton Press. These include An Arranged Marriage , The Journey , The Secret Betrothal and the recently released novel titled A Peculiar Connection . Read her fascinating guest post below and participate in discussion to enter the giveaway. What's in a Title? Thank you, Lúthien84, for participating in my blog tour and for allowing me to be your guest today. Shakespeare says " A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. " But can you imagine the flower we know as the rose being called a stinkweed? Would the stinkweed be famous for its sweetness or would its very name make us shy away from taking a whiff? And what about book titles? Does the name draw you in or turn you off? Would A...

What's Past is Prologue Giveaways for August 2018

After a brief hiatus of a few months where Jan Hahn's The Child is the last published work, Meryton Press has once again released a new Pride and Prejudice variation titled What's Past is Prologue . Ann Galvia (whose previous credit is Side by Side, Apart ) has written an Elizabeth Bennet who has not fallen in love with Darcy but chose to marry him nonetheless. Will their marriage turn out to be what we have always hope for for our favourite couple? That theirs will be loving match that will rival all other happy couples in the literary world? Without running the risk of revealing spoilers, head to all the blogs listed below as the two-week virtual tour for What's Past is Prologue is currently underway. You can read some informative guest posts, entertaining excerpts and an interview with the author. On top of that there are also some book reviews that will give you an idea of the story is about plus multiple chances to enter to win one of eight e-books of What'...

Austenesque Book Giveaways for 31 October-6 November 2011

The Austenesque scout would like to inform her readers a tons of Austen-themed swags for this week. Firstly, Austen Author 's Mary Lydon Simonsen has recently self-published a novella re-imagining Jane Austen's naval hero from Persuasion titled Captain Wentworth: Home from the Sea . As a token of appreciation for Janeites who have helped her all these years of writing Austenesque genre, she is giving away two copies of this novella to readers who leave a comment on her post . In your comment, please tell her what you love about Persuasion and include your email address . This fabulous giveaway is open worldwide and closes next Tuesday, 8 November 2011 . Over at My Jane Austen Book Club , there is a video interview with P. D. James who has written Death Comes to Pemberley , a Pride & Prejudice sequel with a mystery twist. Watch the video and answer the question posted by Maria in your comment for a chance to win a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley . Remember to...

The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin Giveaways: Winners Announcement

If you have read Regina Jeffers's historical piece on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and a terrific excerpt from The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin , you may have learn that there are two e-books on offer. The winners have been decided by Regina using random number generator and they are Deborah Anne schilds Ladies, please write to me on the contact page within 72 hours to claim your prize with your email address and the format of the e-book. Otherwise another drawing will be held instead. Take note that although you may have won prior to this giveaway (where I have your email) or your email address is mentioned in the comment, it is imperative to write to me to confirm that you really want the book. If you did not win this time, do not despair as the author's blog tour is still going on. Check out my post for a list of scheduled stops and many other opportunities to receive The Prosecution of Mr. Darcy's Cousin for free.

Boot & Backpacks Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

It's always a joy to learn of new Austen-themed books that will be published soon. And even more so when an author whom I have not heard before has scored a contract with a publishing firm that specialises in Jane Austen fan fiction. Therefore it is with great honour to introduce new Austenesque author KC Kahler and her debut novel, Boots & Backpacks , to my readers. Take it away, KC! Modernising Austen Themes Jane Austen explored universal themes that still resonate with readers today. As a result, her novels lend themselves to interesting and imaginative modernisations. Sure, Regency England was a lot different, but in modern society people still struggle with some of the themes Austen wrote about: class and privilege, self-discovery, morality, and of course — romance! The trick to modernising an Austen novel, in my opinion, is not to get hung up on slavishly mimicking every detail of the plot, but to concentrate on updating a few important details that play into the...