Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★
It is a truth universally acknowledged that fans and lovers of Jane Austen's novels can't get enough of her works. A search through online book retailers like Amazon result in thousands of listing inspired by her life, her world and her novels from fiction titles, biographies and history to self-help books that offer dating advice and how to improve oneself. So it is not surprising that there are publications that focus on mothers with babies and toddlers to help kick-start the habit of loving Jane Austen's oeuvres at a young age.
When I was approached by the publicists of Gibbs Smith to review Goodnight Mr. Darcy, I jumped at the chance to try something that I would normally not do. In all truthfulness, I have never read any of their books though I have known that they have previously released Little Miss Austen: Pride & Prejudice: A BabyLit Counting Primer, Little Miss Austen: Sense & Sensibility: An Opposites Primer and So Jane: Crafts and Recipes for an Austen-Inspired Life from my research into Austen-inspired publications. So I have set myself the challenge and hopefully this review will shed light into whether you should get it.
Readers who are familiar with the characters of Pride and Prejudice might instantly conclude that this book is all about Mr Darcy. You are partly wrong for it encompasses several main characters who attend the Netherfield ball and their reactions afterwards. The story then shifts forward to Mr Darcy's disastrous proposal and then the happy union between one of the most loved couple in English literature. The words used are very simple that I am sure children would have no problem understanding and enjoying this very short book.
What attracted me the most are the cute illustrations by Alli Arnold. They are beautifully drawn and coloured and I adore them especially Elizabeth Bennet. She looks elegant and poised in a Regency orange dress. Jane is how I imagine her to be, blonde and pretty but I notice she doesn't look exactly like a Regency lady. Her hair is let down and her dress is a tad too modern. If I had to be a bit nit-picky, some of the garments worn by the ladies do not conform to Empire style (which reigned throughout the Regency period) as the waistline fall naturally. If you have seen many of Jane Austen film adaptations, you would have seen that the waistline resides just below the bosom. On the other hand the gentleman and officers are done just right that I could not find fault with any of them.
All in all, Goodnight Mr. Darcy is great that I would recommend to any Austenesque readers, young and old alike. This is a great diversion from reading my usual fare. I would not hesitate to pick up more of these type of books although I am not a mother.
Disclosure: Book provided by the publisher for my honest review. In no way I am compensated.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that fans and lovers of Jane Austen's novels can't get enough of her works. A search through online book retailers like Amazon result in thousands of listing inspired by her life, her world and her novels from fiction titles, biographies and history to self-help books that offer dating advice and how to improve oneself. So it is not surprising that there are publications that focus on mothers with babies and toddlers to help kick-start the habit of loving Jane Austen's oeuvres at a young age.
When I was approached by the publicists of Gibbs Smith to review Goodnight Mr. Darcy, I jumped at the chance to try something that I would normally not do. In all truthfulness, I have never read any of their books though I have known that they have previously released Little Miss Austen: Pride & Prejudice: A BabyLit Counting Primer, Little Miss Austen: Sense & Sensibility: An Opposites Primer and So Jane: Crafts and Recipes for an Austen-Inspired Life from my research into Austen-inspired publications. So I have set myself the challenge and hopefully this review will shed light into whether you should get it.
Readers who are familiar with the characters of Pride and Prejudice might instantly conclude that this book is all about Mr Darcy. You are partly wrong for it encompasses several main characters who attend the Netherfield ball and their reactions afterwards. The story then shifts forward to Mr Darcy's disastrous proposal and then the happy union between one of the most loved couple in English literature. The words used are very simple that I am sure children would have no problem understanding and enjoying this very short book.
What attracted me the most are the cute illustrations by Alli Arnold. They are beautifully drawn and coloured and I adore them especially Elizabeth Bennet. She looks elegant and poised in a Regency orange dress. Jane is how I imagine her to be, blonde and pretty but I notice she doesn't look exactly like a Regency lady. Her hair is let down and her dress is a tad too modern. If I had to be a bit nit-picky, some of the garments worn by the ladies do not conform to Empire style (which reigned throughout the Regency period) as the waistline fall naturally. If you have seen many of Jane Austen film adaptations, you would have seen that the waistline resides just below the bosom. On the other hand the gentleman and officers are done just right that I could not find fault with any of them.
All in all, Goodnight Mr. Darcy is great that I would recommend to any Austenesque readers, young and old alike. This is a great diversion from reading my usual fare. I would not hesitate to pick up more of these type of books although I am not a mother.
Disclosure: Book provided by the publisher for my honest review. In no way I am compensated.
I've noticed those books made to hook very young children on the classics, but I haven't picked one up to look at it. This does sound cute. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete