Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★
If you have seen my past reviews of The Hobbit film books (Visual Companion, The Movie Storybook and The World of Hobbits), you may have an inkling of my interest in the world of Middle-earth. Back in the days before my current obsession with all things Jane Austen, The Lord of Rings trilogy caught my attention with the release of the movies a decade ago. I went on a buying splurge and purchase film books and magazines, original motion picture soundtracks, the theatrical release in VCDs format and VCDs and DVDs of the extended edition.
I even scoured websites that are devoted to J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastical creation of Middle-earth, read online articles dedicated to the books and films, save thousands of pictures and creative artwork that I discovered and download the movie trailers, television spots and featurettes just to watch them again. Besides this I own quite an impressive collection of the Tolkien's masterpiece from his published works (The Hobbit, The Lord of Rings and The Silmarillion) to the complete volumes of The History of Middle-Earth edited by his son. I hope I am not boasting when I say I'm well-versed in Middle-earth folklore but my all-too-consuming passion stopped sometime after the extended edition was available in the market.
When I was aware about this book thanks to my colleague, I decided to satisfy my longing to accumulate more film memorabilia of The Lord of Rings. It contains forty immensely stunning, exquisite and detachable large size posters. A majority of them comes from the third movie, The Return of the King while The Fellowship of the Ring has only seven pieces. I prefer to have an equal number of posters especially from the first film because there are just too few. I have seen most of them before but there are some brand new ones too. These include Legolas shown with his bow and arrow on green background from The Fellowship of the Ring and Arwen Undómiel at the coronation of Arogorn in The Return of the King where both posters are my favourite. Besides this I also love the final piece portraying the motion picture trilogy artwork that combines elements from all three movies.
Generally if you are a The Lord of Rings film lover like me, you should get this book and add to your collection. You will surely not be disappointed to own part of this filmmaking history. I dearly wish there will be a compilation of movie posters for The Hobbit trilogy once the third film (The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies) is shown in cinemas at end of this year.
Here is a preview of which posters are included in the book taken from Insight Editions's website.
If you have seen my past reviews of The Hobbit film books (Visual Companion, The Movie Storybook and The World of Hobbits), you may have an inkling of my interest in the world of Middle-earth. Back in the days before my current obsession with all things Jane Austen, The Lord of Rings trilogy caught my attention with the release of the movies a decade ago. I went on a buying splurge and purchase film books and magazines, original motion picture soundtracks, the theatrical release in VCDs format and VCDs and DVDs of the extended edition.
I even scoured websites that are devoted to J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastical creation of Middle-earth, read online articles dedicated to the books and films, save thousands of pictures and creative artwork that I discovered and download the movie trailers, television spots and featurettes just to watch them again. Besides this I own quite an impressive collection of the Tolkien's masterpiece from his published works (The Hobbit, The Lord of Rings and The Silmarillion) to the complete volumes of The History of Middle-Earth edited by his son. I hope I am not boasting when I say I'm well-versed in Middle-earth folklore but my all-too-consuming passion stopped sometime after the extended edition was available in the market.
When I was aware about this book thanks to my colleague, I decided to satisfy my longing to accumulate more film memorabilia of The Lord of Rings. It contains forty immensely stunning, exquisite and detachable large size posters. A majority of them comes from the third movie, The Return of the King while The Fellowship of the Ring has only seven pieces. I prefer to have an equal number of posters especially from the first film because there are just too few. I have seen most of them before but there are some brand new ones too. These include Legolas shown with his bow and arrow on green background from The Fellowship of the Ring and Arwen Undómiel at the coronation of Arogorn in The Return of the King where both posters are my favourite. Besides this I also love the final piece portraying the motion picture trilogy artwork that combines elements from all three movies.
Generally if you are a The Lord of Rings film lover like me, you should get this book and add to your collection. You will surely not be disappointed to own part of this filmmaking history. I dearly wish there will be a compilation of movie posters for The Hobbit trilogy once the third film (The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies) is shown in cinemas at end of this year.
Here is a preview of which posters are included in the book taken from Insight Editions's website.
| Theatrical Poster of The Two Towers |
| King Theoden, Éowyn and Éomer in The Two Towers |
| Arogorn |
| The Witch-king of Angmar, leader of Nazgûl or Ring-wraiths |
I’m a huge Lord of The Rings fan, too. Thanks for sharing this new find—those posters look amazing!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, NovElla. Yeah, another LotR and Jane Austen lover. Give me a high five!
Delete