Skip to main content

Jane Austen's Birthday: How Jane Austen shaped my life

Happy 238th Birthday, Jane Austen! My Jane Austen Book Club is hosting a virtual celebration of the big day and so I would like to join in the fun and reflect on the question posted by Maria Grazia which is: What would my life have been without Jane Austen?. Let's break it down to several parts, shall we?

First of all, I don't think I am passionate about reading novels and books as I am now. I may have read a few books here and there and purchase them after viewing good film adaptations but my enthusiasm tends to fizzle out until the next thing caught my interest. Fate would have it that I was  re-introduced back to the world of Jane Austen when I began my new job in a bookstore. Until that moment, I have only completely read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. Although I learn of and bought some Austenesque novels before but never got down to finish even one (shame on me), working in a bookstore has given me unparalleled access to books where I can pick and choose what books to read next. Anything remotely related to the authoress or her novels hasn't escape my notice and I began to venture out of my comfort zone to go to previously untouched sections such as self-enrichment and young adult. Then I began to ask myself this question — how would I remember the plot of each story because everything sounds familiar if you stay in the world of  Pride and Prejudice for too long — which brings me to the next point.

Sensing a need to document my reading habit and at the invitation of my colleague to join her blog, this is where blogging comes in. I feel writing reviews is the next step forward and so began to vigorously review books that I have finished. I hope I have done a good job on that. Later on I started my own blog that gives me freedom to post anything that I want and stumbled on an idea to list down book giveaways in order to keep track on the contest that I entered. Besides this you will also find my posts on new Austenesque titles that are to be released every publishing season. Of course maintaining a blog takes up much of my time these days which I do not regret at all as I get to spend time doing the things I love.

Through visiting numerous Austen-themed blogs and websites, my knowledge of Jane Austen's world increase and I learn new things everyday. Thanks to her, I get to meet many Austenesque authors and online fans who share my love and enthusiasm and became my friends. I can connect with them in a way that not even my real-life friends and parents can understand me. I feel that I can belong somewhere at last.

I hope I have entertained you with my story. Let's toast to our dear and esteemed authoress and friend for bringing us together to celebrate this special day.

Comments

  1. Loved your story! I always wondered how you got into blogging and found Jane Austen. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Birthday, Jane! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share with you a passion for everything Austen and for blogging. Yes, it is time consuming but so rewarding. Jane Austen and blogging really have enriched my life. Thanks for joining in the celebration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Austen's First Love Blog Tour: Guest Post + Giveaway

The Christmas season is upon us soon and what better way to celebrate than with a holiday blog tour with Syrie James's Jane Austen's First Love . I'm delighted that Syrie treated us to a wonderful piece in addition to sponsoring five Jane Austen gift packages on her holiday blog tour . The details on how you can win are at the bottom of the post. Let's give her a rousing welcome and read her unique guest post. A Visit With Jane Austen An unexpected conversation transcribed by Syrie James Lúthien84: I'm excited to announce that I have a very special guest here today: Jane Austen herself! I know, it's incredible — but I was just thinking how much I'd love to have a private chat with Jane Austen, when she suddenly appeared on my living room sofa before me! (to Jane) It is such an honour and a pleasure to have you here today, Miss Jane. Jane: Thank you, Miss Lúthien84. I am truly delighted to be here. (sips her tea and smiles) Somehow I feel th...

Rational Creatures Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt and Giveaway

Following the official launch of Rational Creatures yesterday, we are joined by prominent Austenesque and newest member of Jane Austen Variations , the one and only Joana Starnes. As you know, Joana has been a regular visitor to My Love for Jane Austen with four visits and counting including today's guest post. Check out her short introduction and a brilliant excerpt from her story called Charlotte's Comforts . Then be sure to comment in order to participate in the awesome giveaway below. Welcome back, Joana! Guest Post        Rational Creatures — what a great theme for Christina Boyd's latest anthology! The Austen heroine I chose to write about was Charlotte Collins née Lucas, and at a first glance we might wonder, is Charlotte a truly rational creature, or just a coldly practical one? Is marrying a pompous and selfish fool like Mr Collins a rational choice?        Perhaps not — but what other choices did Charlotte ...

Emma and the City: Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaway

After the back-to-back author visits last week, we are joined today by Amy Hilliges who is rather new to the Austenesque world. Her Emma contemporary update is a mix between Jane Austen's misguided heroine and Sex and the City , the popular comedy-drama television series to create Emma and the City . Please welcome Amy who shares with us her motivation to pen the novel. Don't forget to check out the fabulous giveaway at the bottom of the post too! Guest Post Happy Birthday, Lúthien84! Thanks so much for inviting me to guest post on your blog. It's a pleasure to be here. I think I may be unique among many of the authors you feature here in that it wasn't Jane Austen that drew me to writing Emma and the City , it was writing Emma and the City that drew me to Jane Austen. Before working on this novel, I never knew such a large community of Janeites existed or even that Jane Austen fan fiction was a thing. Of course, I'd read a few Jane Austen's novels, ...

The Secret Betrothal Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

I'm thrilled to announce that Jan Hahn, author of three Pride and Prejudice -themed novels published by Meryton Press, is joining us on My Love for Jane Austen today. Let's give a warm welcome to Jan and read her thoughts as she shed light on Elizabeth Bennet's character and her secret engagement in her latest book, The Secret Betrothal . This alone promises to be a tantalising read if you want to get a glimpse into the heroine's mind. Guest Post I'm delighted to be your guest today, Sylvia, and to tell you of my latest novel, The Secret Betrothal . Once again, I'm taking my favourite Jane Austen characters from Pride and Prejudice down an alternate path. I've long been fascinated by the secret engagements in Austen's Emma and Sense and Sensibility . Austen scholar, Hazel Jones, says in her book, Jane Austen & Marriage , " ...clandestine arrangements were always wrong and caused misery to all concerned, although the reasons underlyin...

His Choice of a Wife Blog Tour: Guest Post, Excerpt + Giveaway

Happy weekend, Janeites! How are you spending your free time? Is it to catch up on reading Austenesque titles that you may have missed? There is one that has just been published by debut author Heather Moll. It is a Pride and Prejudice variation called His Choice of a Wife . If you haven't heard of it since it's still new, you are fortunate as the blog tour has recently commenced. Please read the enticing excerpt below and take the chance to enter the giveaway too. Over to you, Heather! Guest Post        Thank you for welcoming me to your blog! In His Choice of a Wife , Darcy and Elizabeth had several meetings in London since the day after his ill-fated proposal, and both men called in Gracechurch street to visit with the Bennet sisters before they returned to Longbourn. Today I'm sharing an excerpt with your readers after Darcy's confesses his interference to Bingley while they're on their way to re-open Netherfield. Excerpt    ...