Skip to main content

Jane Austen's Birthday: How Jane Austen shaped my life

Happy 238th Birthday, Jane Austen! My Jane Austen Book Club is hosting a virtual celebration of the big day and so I would like to join in the fun and reflect on the question posted by Maria Grazia which is: What would my life have been without Jane Austen?. Let's break it down to several parts, shall we?

First of all, I don't think I am passionate about reading novels and books as I am now. I may have read a few books here and there and purchase them after viewing good film adaptations but my enthusiasm tends to fizzle out until the next thing caught my interest. Fate would have it that I was  re-introduced back to the world of Jane Austen when I began my new job in a bookstore. Until that moment, I have only completely read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. Although I learn of and bought some Austenesque novels before but never got down to finish even one (shame on me), working in a bookstore has given me unparalleled access to books where I can pick and choose what books to read next. Anything remotely related to the authoress or her novels hasn't escape my notice and I began to venture out of my comfort zone to go to previously untouched sections such as self-enrichment and young adult. Then I began to ask myself this question — how would I remember the plot of each story because everything sounds familiar if you stay in the world of  Pride and Prejudice for too long — which brings me to the next point.

Sensing a need to document my reading habit and at the invitation of my colleague to join her blog, this is where blogging comes in. I feel writing reviews is the next step forward and so began to vigorously review books that I have finished. I hope I have done a good job on that. Later on I started my own blog that gives me freedom to post anything that I want and stumbled on an idea to list down book giveaways in order to keep track on the contest that I entered. Besides this you will also find my posts on new Austenesque titles that are to be released every publishing season. Of course maintaining a blog takes up much of my time these days which I do not regret at all as I get to spend time doing the things I love.

Through visiting numerous Austen-themed blogs and websites, my knowledge of Jane Austen's world increase and I learn new things everyday. Thanks to her, I get to meet many Austenesque authors and online fans who share my love and enthusiasm and became my friends. I can connect with them in a way that not even my real-life friends and parents can understand me. I feel that I can belong somewhere at last.

I hope I have entertained you with my story. Let's toast to our dear and esteemed authoress and friend for bringing us together to celebrate this special day.

Comments

  1. Loved your story! I always wondered how you got into blogging and found Jane Austen. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Birthday, Jane! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share with you a passion for everything Austen and for blogging. Yes, it is time consuming but so rewarding. Jane Austen and blogging really have enriched my life. Thanks for joining in the celebration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.

Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.

Popular posts from this blog

The Meyersons of Meryton: Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaways

Happy weekend, friends! How has your week been? I hope you will have enough rest and relaxation before you begin the next week. It is with sheer delight that My Love for Jane Austen welcomes fairly newcomer Mirta Ines Trupp to join us today. You may have heard that her recent release titled The Meyersons of Meryton is a different spin on Pride and Prejudice with a Jewish twist. I'll let her tell you more about the book and share some fascinating insights regarding herself. There is also an excerpt and a fabulous giveaway of five e-books to go along with it. Guest Post Thank you, Lรบthien84, for your warm welcome. I am delighted to spend some time with you and my fellow Janeites. Unlike our beloved Miss Jane, I was not born in a scenic village in rural England. My family were neither descendant of landed gentry, nor were they Anglican. I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and am the granddaughter of Russian Jews who escaped the pogroms, poverty and famine prior to the onse...

Suddenly Mrs. Darcy Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

There is a goodie specially for you today, dear readers. Debut author Jenetta James is sharing an excerpt from her yet-to-be published Pride and Prejudice what-if novel, Suddenly Mrs. Darcy . Look out for the giveaways details at the bottom if you want to learn how you can win an e-book of her novel. Without further ado, read on! Excerpt        Later, darkness filled the sky like spilled ink, the air grew chilly, and 'twas time to leave. I drew my cloak about me and felt my slipper slide slightly on the icy surface of the iron step as I entered our carriage. I saw my breath on the air in the tiny light from the lamps outside. Otherwise, it was all darkness, and I felt along the frozen leather seat with my gloved hand before sitting on it. Mr Darcy immediately began bundling my legs with a further blanket and then sat beside me, his arm wrapped about me.        "I am sorry about this cold, Elizabeth. We should have de...

The Secret Betrothal Blog Tour: Guest Post and Giveaway

I'm thrilled to announce that Jan Hahn, author of three Pride and Prejudice -themed novels published by Meryton Press, is joining us on My Love for Jane Austen today. Let's give a warm welcome to Jan and read her thoughts as she shed light on Elizabeth Bennet's character and her secret engagement in her latest book, The Secret Betrothal . This alone promises to be a tantalising read if you want to get a glimpse into the heroine's mind. Guest Post I'm delighted to be your guest today, Sylvia, and to tell you of my latest novel, The Secret Betrothal . Once again, I'm taking my favourite Jane Austen characters from Pride and Prejudice down an alternate path. I've long been fascinated by the secret engagements in Austen's Emma and Sense and Sensibility . Austen scholar, Hazel Jones, says in her book, Jane Austen & Marriage , " ...clandestine arrangements were always wrong and caused misery to all concerned, although the reasons underlyin...

Pride, Prejudice & Secrets Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

Welcome to C. P. Odom's seventh blog tour stop of Pride, Prejudice & Secrets . Today I'm delighted to present to you a tantalising excerpt from his third Pride and Prejudice -themed novel. There is a giveaway linked to this blog tour so read the details at the bottom of the post. Take it away, Mr Odom. First of all, I would like to thank Lรบthien84 for hosting this stop on the Pride, Prejudice & Secrets Blog Tour, in which she is scheduled for an excerpt and a giveaway. When I emailed her, I asked if she had any criteria for what kind of excerpt I should have to provide. She responded that, since she had not yet had an opportunity to read my book, she wasn't in a position to decide but did wish for something that is suspenseful and would leave the readers wanting to know what would happen next. Accordingly, I include an excerpt from Chapter 11 that introduce a subplot in the book (not the whole chapter, just that portion of it pertaining to those subplots). ...

Love at First Slight Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway

It is a pleasure to discover more Austenesque literature written by the myriad and talented authors in the Jane Austen community. I especially love one that is uniquely written and different from the rest even though it originate from the same familiar tale. With this in mind, I learnt that J. Marie Croft has published her second Pride and Prejudice -centric story late last year. Read an excerpt from Love at First Slight below and find out what twist she has penned for our enjoyment. Characters William: William Bennet (protagonist; one of five brothers at Longbourn) Jane: the widowed Mrs. Devonport (nee Bingley; owner of Netherfield Park) Felicity: Miss Felicity Wickham (George Wickham's counterpart) Elizabeth: Miss Elizabeth Darcy (heiress) Clarence: Clarence Lucas (William's friend; Charlotte's counterpart) Olivia: Miss Olivia Collins (sister to Mr. Collins of Hunsford; cousin of the Bennets) Charles: Charles Bennet (William's older brother) Excerpt ...