As readers of this blog, I'm sure you are familiar that most of the time I would begin my review by mentioning how I came across this gem in my search for good Austenesque novels to read. This is no different compared to previous reviews. You may also know that I have been a long time fan of any Jane Austen-themed novels and would not hesitate to pick it up and put it on my list for books that I am going to read. Although it was available at my bookstore last year, I am only able to read it now. Barbara Cornthwaite, the author of this novel is a member of Crownhill Writers Guild, an independent publishing house specialising in Jane Austen retellings. With the likes of Pamela Aidan (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman), Susan Kaye (Frederick Wentworth, Captain) and Laura Hile (Mercy's Embrace) which write some of the best Austen-themed novels, George Knightley, Esquire lives up to my expectation of a classic masterpiece worthy of Emma in which it is based on.
George Knightley — landowner, landlord, magistrate and a bachelor — is the hero in Jane Austen's fourth novel and yet we do not get to view his insights and motivation because she chose to write from Emma's point-of-view. This is rectified by the emergence of two books which I know of dedicated to portray the true worth of Mr Knightley. I took great delight in reading this novel, which is the first of two books in the series. Told from Mr Knightley's perspective, it begins with his visit to his younger brother's family in London and close with the departure of Frank Churchill's first visit to Highbury.
Between these timeline, Ms Cornthwaite has expanded some scenes and created new ones, particularly those that involves his brother's family. Younger brother John is forever teasing him to marry and prods him to change his ways; both in person and in writing. I enjoyed the friendly banter in which John tries to promote a match between him and a young widow, Mrs. Whitney but he declines in a playful manner. I look forward to their letters which depicts the joys and happenings with their lives. There were also scenes that was written of him playing and interacting with his nephew and nieces during their Christmas holidays in Hartfield. I find it amusing and funny to read that Mr Knightley willingly open up his heart to Madam Duval about his love problems. If you must know, Madam Duval is a white cat given by his niece, Bella to keep him company.
Besides family life, we also got glimpses of his relationship with his household staff (William Larkins, his bailiff and Baxter, his butler and valet), tenants (Mr Martin) and residents of Donwell namely rector, Dr. Hughes and the new curate, Mr Spencer. His friendship to both rector and curate is touching for he can talk to them openly and discuss about problems. I was certainly entertained by their antics and actions especially William Larkins who really is the biggest gossip in Donwell to rival that of Miss Bates in Highbury. Mr Knightley's caring and compassionate nature also shines through when he placates Mr Woodhouse's fears of health issues, visits Dr. Hughes to keep him company when the old rector broke his leg and sends his carriage to fetch Miss Bates and her niece, Jane Fairfax to the Coles' party. Parish business with his fellow gentlemen of Donwell and Highbury specifically Mr Weston, Mr Cole, Mr Gilbert and Mr Elton in addition to his job as a magistrate was also mentioned in passing which gives an overall picture of how busy Mr Knightley's life is. No wonder he has no time to think of marrying a wife until he found the perfect woman that will complete him. As we dwell deeper into Mr Knightley's heart, we realise that he is envious of Frank Churchill's attentions to Emma which came out of his love for her. Thus, the book title which was mentioned twice in the novel refers to his struggle in overcoming this jealousy.
Overall, Barbara's writing was simply marvellous and she sincerely imitates Austen's tone, style and plot to perfection. She successfully managed to fill the gaps in Mr Knightley's life with careful analysis of Austen's text and seamlessly integrates the hero's observations and opinions in her novels. The result is a well-rounded effort that truly deserves to be read by anyone who loves Emma. This novel is also steep in Christian values which is quite rare in any Austen-inspired stories that I had read before. My only regret is that I should not have waited until now to read this gem in the Austenesque collection. Now I can't wait to read the second part of this series. If you are interested, you can read an excerpt for the second book here.
I loved loved loved this one! I'm so glad you did too! I took great pleasure in Mr. Knightley's side of the story especially the relationships you mentioned!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments. It's good to read the hero's story to know what he is thinking but could not say it out.
ReplyDelete