Rating: ★★★★/★★★★★I read this light-hearted romance book a couple of months ago. I hope I can remember the things I like and dislike about this latest Julia Quinn book. Forgive me if I keep rambling on.
I was first introduce to the hero, Sebastian Grey from What Happens in London and I find him comical and would love to read more of him. My wish was granted when I read this novel. In fact, this book is a continuation of the story which began from The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever to What Happens in London but each novel focuses on different heroes and heroines.
Ten Things I Love About You takes place about a year after the conclusion of What Happens in London where Sir Harry Valentine has wedded Lady Olivia Bevelstoke. As mentioned briefly in the previous novel, Sebastian Grey is heir to his uncle, the Earl of Newbury ever since the death of his son a few years back. Both uncle and nephew despise each other and Lord Newbury is not planning to leave his entire fortune and estate to his nephew.
Enter the heroine, Miss Annabel Winslow. Lord Newbury is interested to make her his new bride but Annabel is not sure that she wants to marry him because he is about the same age as her grandfather, Lord Vickers and besides she finds out that he once romanced her grandmother. However she has no choice in this matter as her family is destitute for money after the death of her father, a country gentleman. In order not to be a burden, she as the eldest daughter was invited by her maternal grandparents to stay with them in London, enjoy her debut season and marry someone rich who can support her brothers.
How Annabel and Sebastian met was a bit hilarious considering the circumstances at that time. I would not tell you how for fear of spoiling this book for you. I do enjoy the moment when Sebastian's secret is finally revealed to Annabel and she is such a perceptive character who can catch it. It's not hard to guess his secret if you read the previous novel. I correctly guess it after reading What Happens in London and it was only confirmed at the prologue. I also love being privy to both Annabel and Sebastian's thoughts and reactions to the same event experienced by both of them.
I really do not like Lord Newbury because he is portrayed as a pervert who prey on young maidens so that he can beget an heir. I find this notion ridiculous from a modern perspective but if I am from the Regency times, I could understand and sympathise with his situation. The one thing which can be improve is the sex scene. I have read a few Julia Quinn's novels and I find that the sex scenes here are repeated again. The description of the scene makes me feel emotionally detached from the hero's point-of-view such that there is no depth to it. I hope that in Julia Quinn's next novel, she will improve on her writing or totally eliminate the sex scene if she could not do it any better.
Nevertheless, this novel is truly enjoyable for a quick read. Besides that, the counting from 1 to 10 to give yourself a reason is something which I have not read before. And like the other novels by her, I love the epilogue which neatly ties up all loose ends. Lastly, I would like to add that I love the cover art for the UK release by Piatkus Books compared to the US version by Avon. In fact, I was attracted to UK book cover of What Happens in London to read Julia Quinn's novel in the first place.
I would now end this review by showing you the book trailer. Do watch it as it is comical.
Comments
Post a Comment
My idea of good company, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.
Would you like to have a share of the conversation? Or found any mistakes that need correcting? It would be very much appreciated if you leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to visit My Love for Jane Austen.